whots this tang? and fish less prone to ich

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys just about to set a 6ft 2ft open top tank as fish only till I get more experience with getting water right for corals"

im looking for some nice fish I can mix and less prone to ich whot can put into reef tank after"

whots this tang in pic and would be ok with say a big regal tang and majestic angel

fowleri.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too big for a 6’ tank IMO.

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are tangs, they are known as ich magnets because of their thin coat. But any fish can have ich and anything wet can introduce ich to your system. With proper qt and treatment you don't have to worry about ich on any fish. Ich is a parasite that can killed and prevented.

And the link above doesn't say 8 inches it's 1 foot 8 inches.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishbase says 45 cm (about 1 1/2'). 8-10 foot long would be better, and wider than 2' would also be better. Somewhere in the 3-400 gallon is probably in the ballpark.

I know that sounds like a lot of room for a fish. Unfortunately, there are some tangs: this one, vlamingi, unicorns, dussumieri, etc that get too big for most of our tanks.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are they prone to ich like other tangs?

Depends what you mean by 'prone'? All tangs are on the more susceptible end of the spectrum for skin parasites; but some (achilles, powder blue/brown and hippo) are much more susceptible than the rest.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are tangs, they are known as ich magnets because of their thin coat. But any fish can have ich and anything wet can introduce ich to your system. With proper qt and treatment you don't have to worry about ich on any fish. Ich is a parasite that can killed and prevented.

And the link above doesn't say 8 inches it's 1 foot 8 inches.

Yup, he missed the 1 foot part in front of the 8 inches. That Tang gets just shy 2 feet in length when fully grown and is recommended for a MINIMUM of 360 gallons. Ideally a 400 gallon or larger tank would be best.

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what you mean by 'prone'? All tangs are on the more susceptible end of the spectrum for skin parasites; but some (achilles, powder blue/brown and hippo) are much more susceptible than the rest.
I mean prone" if your water temp/ph or salinity changes a little by itself or when doing water change! will tangs get ich then? or is it through bad feeding or bullying that sets ich off with tangs most ?

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, he missed the 1 foot part in front of the 8 inches. That Tang gets just shy 2 feet in length when fully grown and is recommended for a MINIMUM of 360 gallons. Ideally a 400 gallon or larger tank would be best.
yes mist that part in link" maybe not right to fish and other tankmates to put this in 160gallon tank"

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean prone" if your water temp/ph or salinity changes a little by itself or when doing water change! will tangs get ich then? or is it through bad feeding or bullying that sets ich off with tangs most ?

It has nothing to do with that. If your Tang was exposed to ich in the wild, then it will have it or if any of your fish in your tank have it, then it is pretty much guaranteed that it will get it. Many tangs are exposed to it and display visible symptoms more so than other fish because they have a very thin protective layer (slimecoat). The only way to ensure it doesn't have ich is to quarantine it in a separate tank and observe it for a couple of months and if it develops white spots, starts rubbing up against things, etc. then it has the parasites and needs to be treated with something like a copper based solution to kill the parasites. Of course you need to ensure that your current fish don't have the parasites either or it will get infected again. Oh and that Majestic Angel and Regal is pushing it in a 160 as they require a minimum of 180 gallons when fully grown. I strongly suggest you spend some time at www.liveaquaria.com checking out minimum tank sizes before adding any more fish. They aren't 100% but they are by far the most accurate of the vendors and will at least put you in the ballpark of what size tank is required for a given fish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has nothing to do with that. If your Tang was exposed to ich in the wild, then it will have it or if any of your fish in your tank have it, then it is pretty much guaranteed that it will get it. Many tangs are exposed to it and display visible symptoms more so than other fish because they have a very thin protective layer (slimecoat). The only way to ensure it doesn't have ich is to quarantine it in a separate tank and observe it for a couple of months and if it develops white spots, starts rubbing up against things, etc. then it has the parasites and needs to be treated with something like a copper based solution to kill the parasites. Of course you need to ensure that your current fish don't have the parasites either or it will get infected again. Oh and that Majestic Angel and Regal is pushing it in a 160 as they require a minimum of 180 gallons when fully grown. I strongly suggest you spend some time at www.liveaquaria.com checking out minimum tank sizes before adding any more fish. They aren't 100% but they are by far the most accurate of the vendors and will at least put you in the ballpark of what size tank is required for a given fish.
think 99% of peoples tanks are well overstocked then or got bigger fish in them! that that should not! just going on loads of videos posted on youtube buddy

and iv got no fish yet as just setting tank up"

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Prone is a mostly meaningless generalization. Your tank either has ich or it doesn't. If it has ich, its either manageable or its not. The whole 'stress' thing is something of a red herring. If your fish are healthy, and have a thick enough slime coat, then they may well be resistant to some strains of ich. Tangs tend to have somewhat thinner slime coats which makes them a bit more susceptible. If you have ich in your system, then little things like water changes are not going to trigger an outbreak. A new fish, that has not yet developed a thick enough slime coat can get infested, and the resulting higher parasite pressure can trigger an outbreak in otherwise resistant fish. My advice to the novice reefer is to do QT so that ich never gets into the tank in the first place. I would also suggest to the novice to not overstock a tank. OK once you get some experience, but overstocking (or following youtube videos) is not good in the beginning.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. There are people on Youtube who think nothing of sticking Yellow Tangs, Blue Hippo Tangs, Butterflyfish, etc. in 25-40 gallon tanks. Even when they are small they are still too big for the tank. @ The OP, glad to hear you haven't stocked it yet. It gives you time to do it right and figure out what is a good fit for your tank. There are quite a few tangs that will do well in a 160.

All of these can work:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/categor...15+43&r=3130&s=ts&start=1&page_num=1&count=24

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prone is a mostly meaningless generalization. Your tank either has ich or it doesn't. If it has ich, its either manageable or its not. The whole 'stress' thing is something of a red herring. If your fish are healthy, and have a thick enough slime coat, then they may well be resistant to some strains of ich. Tangs tend to have somewhat thinner slime coats which makes them a bit more susceptible. If you have ich in your system, then little things like water changes are not going to trigger an outbreak. A new fish, that has not yet developed a thick enough slime coat can get infested, and the resulting higher parasite pressure can trigger an outbreak in otherwise resistant fish. My advice to the novice reefer is to do QT so that ich never gets into the tank in the first place. I would also suggest to the novice to not overstock a tank. OK once you get some experience, but overstocking (or following youtube videos) is not good in the beginning.
thanks for info" and will try and find room to setup a QT tank before starting stocking""

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. There are people on Youtube who think nothing of sticking Yellow Tangs, Blue Hippo Tangs, Butterflyfish, etc. in 25-40 gallon tanks. Even when they are small they are still too big for the tank. @ The OP, glad to hear you haven't stocked it yet. It gives you time to do it right and figure out what is a good fit for your tank. There are quite a few tangs that will do well in a 160.

All of these can work:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/categor...15+43&r=3130&s=ts&start=1&page_num=1&count=24
only one I love there is that powder blue"" but these are a nightmare right about sowal tang?

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only one I love there is that powder blue"" but these are a nightmare right about sowal tang?

Sohals can be a pain, they can take over a tank and be very aggressive, don't think I'd even consider one in less than a 300g tank

Most tangs get pretty big, seems the prettier they are the more problematic they are.

U

User1

View Badges
Just on the size comment with regards to the tang. I know the 1 was left off but even a 8" tang is someone large all things considered. I have a Lt Tang that I purchased around May of this year. It came in on the small side according to LA which was about 3". It is now pushing 7 to 8" and uses every inch of my 210 gallon tank. It is a beautiful and friendly fish. Everyone enjoys it. However the size thing is making me reconsider now. So figured I'd just chime in a bit on the size because even at 8" while it doesn't sound like a lot, it is. Means it eats more. poops more, needs more swim lanes, and a Ca. King size bed (mind digs or moves around sand in a couple places to call home.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back