Tomini tang?

sweetcoralina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. So I’ve been thinking to get a tomini tang as the herbivore fish choice in my tank. I went to several LFS with them and I saw both the lighter yellow one and darker one called tomini tang, and one store call the darker one flame finned tang. Are they all the same species or something different, like from different areas? Thanks.

IMG_5027.jpeg

IMG_5028.jpeg

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in a 90. He's always picking at the any algae he comes across. He can get just a little feisty with my royal gramma

OP
OP
sweetcoralina

sweetcoralina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in a 90. He's always picking at the any algae he comes across. He can get just a little feisty with my royal gramma
I read they're the tamest of all tangs... Hopefully adding this fish first won't make my future additions miserable.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just got one of my 50 and it is quickly becoming my favorite fish. It stays busy picking at the rocks. It has a great temperament too bit It does hassle my royal gramma a bit. Other than the possible future addition of a tiny dragonet, he’s the last addition.
IMG_1793.jpeg

OP
OP
sweetcoralina

sweetcoralina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got one of my 50 and it is quickly becoming my favorite fish. It stays busy picking at the rocks. It has a great temperament too bit It does hassle my royal gramma a bit. Other than the possible future addition of a tiny dragonet, he’s the last addition.
IMG_1793.jpeg
Wow that royal gamma seems to be slightly bigger too? I am actually thinking to add this as my first after cycling then maybe wait a bit longer (like couple months) to get a small group of anthias, butterfly and maybe dwarf/smaller size angel.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that royal gamma seems to be slightly bigger too? I am actually thinking to add this as my first after cycling then maybe wait a bit longer (like couple months) to get a small group of anthias, butterfly and maybe dwarf/smaller size angel.
Add these to a more mature tank, they do better when you have algae for them to pick at

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think it is a perspective thing, like these chromis that are close to the front glass. Makes them look huge :face-with-tears-of-joy:
IMG_1791.jpeg

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1793.jpeg
Just curious what light you have on that tank?

OP
OP
sweetcoralina

sweetcoralina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tomini, they like to graze and new tanks usually don’t have a lot of food. This puts them relying on nori.
Won't the 'ugly phase' provide some algae for the fish? That's the whole reason I think to get a herbivore fish as the first fish.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back