Why are all Tanks of the month SPS dominant?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm probably a dingbat but I don't remember seeing a poll to vote for TOTM but I am getting old and forgetful.
I think I mixed up POTM with TOTM. I don’t really know as I don’t focus on the tanks of the month and instead focus on tanks that hide in the build threads.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you mean the top one, that’s a Green Rhodactis Mushroom. The other corals/Inverts in closer up photos are;
- Green Mini Maxi Anemone
- (Toxic?) Green Kenya
- Ricordea yuma
Oh cool, I thought it was encrusted to the rock but shrooms don't do that per se. Mushrooms are some or my favorites. I have bounce, rodactis, yuma. Rics, hairy indo, forest fire, etc...

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, I was thinking this also. That there isn't many nano's or pico's either. Variety is the spice of life so they say!
Totally! Like we get SPS tanks but they’re all large tanks (Mainly 6’ and larger). I too would love to see some more nano tanks as I see these huge SPS tanks and want to do something similar in my nano but realise that I cant get these 2’ long colonies without having to only have 1 or 2 Colonies.
And I’d love to do some of the smaller tank ideas in my larger tank. So say a softie/LPS only nano, I would love to take ideas but make them larger.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full agree. Gonis and torches for example can have color and movement. Here’s my (work in progress ) tank. Not nano but good sized 60 gallon shallow reef
49C89112-50D7-42C3-A327-73D869494267.jpeg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like a freshwater master could create a FOWLR and GSP that would look amazing and be TOTM worthy. I am just imaging dramatic rock cliffs with GSP as the grassy plains and a sand path that disappears into the background giving depth.... lol Maybe a couple well places clove polyps for flowers :grinning-face-with-sweat:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like a freshwater master could create a FOWLR and GSP that would look amazing and be TOTM worthy. I am just imaging dramatic rock cliffs with GSP as the grassy plains and a sand path that disappears into the background giving depth.... lol Maybe a couple well places clove polyps for flowers :grinning-face-with-sweat:
I wish I planned out my tank a bit better haha, this sounds like a tank that would look gorgeous.

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are TOM most if not all of the time sps dominant? Why arent softy only or lps tanks ever TOM and not just here but in many sites?

Softies can be beautiful too cant they?

Not trying to offend or start arguments but just really wondering why.
I feel SPS tanks tend to show the highest level of care and dedication, and the resultant tanks are that much more impressive. That said, I've been blown away by beautiful softy tanks and LPS tanks, but I feel they both are lacking in some aspects where SPS tend to shine through.

Softies: can be impressive and large, can have nice movement, even the most impressive ones are limited on the color pallet though.

LPS: They have a hold on best movement, can be colorful but in general SPS still trump them. The vast majority of LPS tanks I see (even "high end" ones) tend to just be tanks of frags/mini colonies, very rare to see full, large colonies, which is a sign of a well cared for and established tank. IMO no tank can be TOTM without being full of large colonies.

So, SPS tanks have more colors, many structures, and tend to be set up with the goal of growing large colonies, not just packing in one of each torch/hammer/blasto/acan or whatever.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I planned out my tank a bit better haha, this sounds like a tank that would look gorgeous.

Ya, I was trying to think how to make a FOWLR worthy... I see people put some hardier more bad tasting corals in sometimes... maybe blue kenyas could server as a tree grove :thinking-face:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I was trying to think how to make a FOWLR worthy... I see people put some hardier more bad tasting corals in sometimes... maybe blue kenyas could server as a tree grove :thinking-face:
There’s such thing as a blue Kenya? Dang, you guys continue to add leathers to the list of coral I want for my 4’ tank haha. I don’t get this nearly as much with SPS!

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why are TOM most if not all of the time sps dominant? Why arent softy only or lps tanks ever TOM and not just here but in many sites?

Softies can be beautiful too cant they?

Not trying to offend or start arguments but just really wondering why.
I agree. They deserve the spotlight just as much. I’m a fan of them. Although I keep a mixed reef a softy lps system just had that movement u can’t find in a sps Dom tank

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel SPS tanks tend to show the highest level of care and dedication, and the resultant tanks are that much more impressive. That said, I've been blown away by beautiful softy tanks and LPS tanks, but I feel they both are lacking in some aspects where SPS tend to shine through.

Softies: can be impressive and large, can have nice movement, even the most impressive ones are limited on the color pallet though.

LPS: They have a hold on best movement, can be colorful but in general SPS still trump them. The vast majority of LPS tanks I see (even "high end" ones) tend to just be tanks of frags/mini colonies, very rare to see full, large colonies, which is a sign of a well cared for and established tank. IMO no tank can be TOTM without being full of large colonies.

So, SPS tanks have more colors, many structures, and tend to be set up with the goal of growing large colonies, not just packing in one of each torch/hammer/blasto/acan or whatever.

Ya I have no idea why people keep LPS frags. When I had LPS... my first ones were getting so big... basketball size for some of them. Maybe it is just what people do and then get out of the hobby (LPS is popular among beginners too)... or maybe it is because they want to frag and get that 200-500 a torch head!

Pastel color pallet of softy tanks does not bother me one bit so I can't help with that. It gives a natural vibe and the fish can look really great amongst them.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s such thing as a blue Kenya? Dang, you guys continue to add leathers to the list of coral I want for my 4’ tank haha. I don’t get this nearly as much with SPS!

yes, google image of one I found under whites. I think they are also sometimes labeled as pineapple tree coral

DSC_3345_ps.jpg

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my biggest regret! My aquascape proves hard to adjust flow around and i kust started throwing frags in there. I mean where theyd do well but it looks terrible

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry to add/quote. but I agree, not all aquriam's look great by thier price tags, most often these aquarium's look too full for me, messy, frag here, frag there,
Overgrowing

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Op is correct and why I don’t even read the article. Click look at the picture and im like. “Good job” then carry on.

Sps is cool and i just bought a bunch of sps but i have a tank for my family and friends to look at. They don’t give 2 (you know what) about stick corals. All they talked about are Euphyllias, RFA, gorgonian and the fish. Most people think the rock is coral. :squinting-face-with-tongue:

I mean the tank of the month aint no different than listening to Reefbum. All he has on are sps nuts.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my biggest regret! My aquascape proves hard to adjust flow around and i kust started throwing frags in there. I mean where theyd do well but it looks terrible
I’m still playing with the ‘scape. I’m pretty close to where I want I I think, but we shall see.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back