Why are my clove polyps closed?

brycenelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had these clove polyps for 2 months and recently they have started to close.

Salinity 1.026
Ph 8
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate .28
Calcium 440
Alk 10
Mag 1350

55280BDF-3DD5-4DFB-AE3D-E07790BAB603.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than low nitrates (you do want some nitrates) and elevated alkalinity (unless you normally run it at this level), I don't see anything off with your parameters. Your phosphates are a tad high but not really at a level that I'd consider problematic.

OP
OP
B

brycenelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some turf algae I’m trying to get rid of that is taking all my nitrates. I think that is the problem because right when I started to see all the algae the polyps started to close

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens to me every couple of months or so. They stay retracted for a week or two, then they come back out and look good. Usually, this is preceded by my Duncons closing up first. They come back out after a few weeks. I am still trying to figure this out. I test the water weekly, the temperature is constant, etc., and not sure what I am doing or not doing is effective.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without chasing, try to have nitrates between 5-10. Elevated phosphates will cause algae. See if you can get it to 0.1 or lower, just not 0. I use the chemipure blue nano packets to reduce phosphates. I prefer these because it happens gradually and can be tested for along the way. Also, if you see anything growing on your cloves, try to turkey baster them off gently.

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed two largish rocks with green clove polyps in my tank on Friday and they have not opened. I have been in the hobby and aquatic industry for a very long time and all else in my -mainly-softie tank are doing exceptionally well - lots of euphyllia, mushrooms, leathers, duncans, bubble coral, etc. I have read every article and watched every video that I can find. They are on the bottom of my 120 and get adequate light and flow for sure!
PO is 0.3 and nitrate is around 20-elevated a tad, I know- but as I said, all else is fine, including goniopora. My salinity is stable at 1.026.
Any advice is appreciated.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 75.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back