Why are my corals bleaching and dying?

Cabo31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here is the story...the tank was running beautifully. All the corals were growing, great color, all was good. Then I get bryopsis; treated it with fluconazol(not sure if spelled correctly). Then I break out with cyano, treated that with chemeclean which worked and the cyano is gone. Now I have dino(air bubbles everywhere on the algae). Ever since the first outbreak all my Acans are dying, my Monti's are loosing color and so is my gonipora. My sps's are slowly dying and my torch has lost several heads already! I have checked all my chemistry:
Alkalinity 9.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 2
Nitrite 0-0.5
Ph 8.2
Phosphate 0
Calcium 450
Magnesium 1395

Could the Dino's be causing all my problems? Robbing the nutrients from the corals?
I now have two tanks with Dino, sick and tired of this. Not using same equipment on the tanks. I am very careful with that.

Anyone have any ideas? Suggestions please. I don't want to lose any more corals from this and I am at a loss!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BlueCursor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Alk and Ca are too high for your nitrates and phosphates. Also, as salty questioned, that is 0 phosphates with what testing method? If you are testing with Hanna UL phosphorous tested, no wonder things are dying.

You didn't specify what salinity you are at. Test that AFTER you calibrate your refractor.

If corals are stressed do low nutrients or other issues, high light is the final dagger. Do you have a PAR meter? Reduce lighting some for a while, reduce Alk and Ca to NSW levels with low nitrate and phosphate. There is something you aren't testing or unable to test that is stressing your tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%

Back