Why are my corals not closing up at night?

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have got 2 new corals. Had them for 2 days now and they have been opening up fully. The 2 nights I have had them they have not fully closed and are still almost fully open. The lights have been off for about 3-4 hours. The two corals are a Duncan and a frogspawn.

IMG_1222.jpeg IMG_1215.jpeg

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have got 2 new corals. Had them for 2 days now and they have been opening up fully. The 2 nights I have had them they have not fully closed and are still almost fully open. The lights have been off for about 3-4 hours. The two corals are a Duncan and a frogspawn.

IMG_1222.jpeg IMG_1215.jpeg
I have (or had) both of these corals and neither closed up at night for me. I’m interested to see if anyone has an exact reason why.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Should I feed them at night?
You shouldn't have to feed most corals. If there's enough stuff floating in the water column and they get proper light levels they'll be fine without too much in the way of supplemental feedings. I never spot feed my Duncans and only broadcast feed the entire tank once every week or two and my Duncan has gone from 2 mouths to 15 or 20 in the last 8 months.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't have to feed most corals. If there's enough stuff floating in the water column and they get proper light levels they'll be fine without too much in the way of supplemental feedings. I never spot feed my Duncans and only broadcast feed the entire tank once every week or two and my Duncan has gone from 2 mouths to 15 or 20 in the last 8 months.
Do frogspawns eat like Duncan’s do?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Lobophyllia comes to mind where it's tentacles actually come out 11pm-3am for me
Bowers do the same. My Micros and Favias usually open up at night and several of my Acropora put out feeders at night.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do frogspawns eat like Duncan’s do?
All LPS have mouths and will eat. Technically all corals have mouths and will feed, some just require more microscopic feeds.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can but not big food, phytoplankton would work for a small target feed. Look up frogspawn on tidal gardens. Usually have a great guide for care per species
Ok thanks

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the help
I have a type of Cup Coral that came with a piece of live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater, and it's super active at night, even when lights off, in fact it's at its largest in the dark. Some corals just do their own thing whenever they want. Enjoy it!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed my torches, frogspawn and hammers twice a week mysis. I used spot feed my duncan, great feeding response, but stopped trying to slow down the growth of new heads, taking up a lot of real estate. This is a no branching type and I will eventually have to figure out how to frag it.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed my torches, frogspawn and hammers twice a week mysis. I used spot feed my duncan, great feeding response, but stopped trying to slow down the growth of new heads, taking up a lot of real estate. This is a no branching type and I will eventually have to figure out how to frag it.
Can you send a pic of what food I use to feed frogspawn. I tried feeding it phytoplankton but it did not close up. Then I got some of the Rods food and dropped a piece on to it. It did not close up and eat it like the Duncan’s.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can you send a pic of what food I use to feed frogspawn. I tried feeding it phytoplankton but it did not close up. Then I got some of the Rods food and dropped a piece on to it. It did not close up and eat it like the Duncan’s.
Frogs, Hammer s, and Torches don't always close when they eat.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back