Why are my hammers dying!?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ReefPup
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ReefPup

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 17, 2024
Messages
122
Reaction score
82
Location
Washington State
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hammers over the past 2 weeks have been getting rougher and rougher looking till today one looks almost dead and the other on its way the frogspawn next to them looks fine though. Did about a 30% water change yesterday and just took these water tests.
Screenshot_20250523_000228_Hanna Lab.jpg
20250523_000322.jpg
20250523_000331.jpg
20250523_000338.jpg
 
My guess. Is the algae is soaking up your nitrates and thriving, and the coral is starving

How is the flow there? I find hammers like low flow when they are smaller
How do I raise my nitrates without raising phosphate as well, because I'm on the upper end of the tolerable range on phosphates.
 
How do I raise my nitrates without raising phosphate as well, because I'm on the upper end of the tolerable range on phosphates.

Your phosphates are not horrible but you could feed more frozen foods to help increase nitrate. Brightwell has NeoNitro which would help increase your nitrates as well

Do you run any type of refugium?
 
Your phosphates are not horrible but you could feed more frozen foods to help increase nitrate. Brightwell has NeoNitro which would help increase your nitrates as well

Do you run any type of refugium?

Sorry I answered my own question... Been a long night lol

VintageReefer is right, your algae in the tank will soak up the nitrates. So even dosing you will need to dose regularly and prune algae often
 
Sorry I answered my own question... Been a long night lol

VintageReefer is right, your algae in the tank will soak up the nitrates. So even dosing you will need to dose regularly and prune algae often
This ^

Reduce algae
Dose neonitro per bottle instructions
 
Your phosphates are not horrible but you could feed more frozen foods to help increase nitrate. Brightwell has NeoNitro which would help increase your nitrates as well

Do you run any type of refugium?
Yeah i run a fuge with chaeto i currently run the light for 6 hours at night. Also when I did my 30% water change on weds. My fuge was full of hair algae. Like full full so I took the shop vac and scrapped all the walls and now there is just the chaeto in there. So that's one big source of algae gone.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new