Why aren't gorgonians more popular?

Anyone have a favorite source for photosynthetic gorgonians? I've been thinking something like a Purple Candelabra might add some interest to my tank.
 
Anyone have a favorite source for photosynthetic gorgonians? I've been thinking something like a Purple Candelabra might add some interest to my tank.
I got one from Tidal Gardens but if you have an LFS you should check there first; they're fairly cheap.
 
Anyone have a favorite source for photosynthetic gorgonians? I've been thinking something like a Purple Candelabra might add some interest to my tank.
I get mine from KP Aquatics or Gulf Coast Ecosystems. Just got a new one from KP yesterday.
 
Figured I'd bring this thread back to life with more reasons why these should be kept more often as seen on the reef here in St Kitts over the past week. Even the brown/gold ones are gorgeous in person as long as your tank isn't completely blue lighting.

2021_0226_13523700.jpg
2021_0226_12355400.jpg
2021_0121_17221100.jpg
 
Figured I'd bring this thread back to life with more reasons why these should be kept more often as seen on the reef here in St Kitts over the past week. Even the brown/gold ones are gorgeous in person as long as your tank isn't completely blue lighting.

2021_0226_13523700.jpg
2021_0226_12355400.jpg
2021_0121_17221100.jpg
That bottom blue on is stunning! It looks like an acro almost
 
Mine are purple with yellowish polyps. When I got them the polyps were brownish. Lights just went off but you can see in this older pic they are yellowish.
14K Halides with blue plus and blue sky OR3 bars produce this color in my system. I paid like $10 for both.
20210803_161801.jpg
 
I’m a big fan of gorgonians. Have a couple types and may add more. They add great movement and interesting growth patterns you can’t get with other coral.
I feel not every coral has to glue in the dark. I have plenty that do but none that look a great growing up the back of the tank for more depth.
 
I have two gorgonians. One was described as a Gold Plume Sea Fan. I've had it nearly a year and it hasn't grown. It's honestly a bit of an ugly thing and I don't know what to do with it. The other is a Tracy Morgan and I'm crazy about it. It's big and puffy and growing enthusiastically. Maybe people don't have gorgonians because they haven't found the one that speaks to them.
Hi, do you know if the Tracy Morgonian will look good under whiter light?
 
I'm also a big fan of gorgonians, I have had a Grubes that was a hand me down from Julian Sprung through a reef shop in New Orleans and it has long been a favorite, tough as nails, reliable growth. With that said, I have never been a fan of the Chernobyl blue look and like corals that look good in 10K lighting. This seller has a good selection but it is very seasonal and I recommend paying the money for express mail for gorgonians as the more dainty ones don't tend to fare well with a couple days in the box. https://live-plants.com/
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 48 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new