Why can’t I keep debris out of my water?

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon high with 3 4” filter socks, 40 gallon sump, protein skimmer, and a refugium. I occasionally dose DIY coral snow. My tank is about a year old now. Anyone have any solutions? They would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3125.MOV
    29.5 MB

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really hard to tell from your video, but is that a gyre pushing water away from the overflow teeth?

If so, I think the first thing I'd try is re-positioning the gyre and see if that makes a difference.

Beyond that, are you sure everything coming up from the sump is without particles?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
make sure your return section is free of detritus, or that there is something before the return section trapping the detritus out before it gets to the return

i’ve seen some posts with people putting “power filters” as a bubble trap, or before the return section to combat this. the way i see it is just food for corals to pick up, so i personally don’t mind it

OP
OP
EgotisticObeseChihuahua

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really hard to tell from your video, but is that a gyre pushing water away from the overflow teeth?

If so, I think the first thing I'd try is re-positioning the gyre and see if that makes a difference.

Beyond that, are you sure everything coming up from the sump is without particles?
Ok I will reposition the gyro. And double check the sump.

OP
OP
EgotisticObeseChihuahua

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make sure your return section is free of detritus, or that there is something before the return section trapping the detritus out before it gets to the return

i’ve seen some posts with people putting “power filters” as a bubble trap, or before the return section to combat this. the way i see it is just food for corals to pick up, so i personally don’t mind it
Thanks, I will look into it!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back