Why can't I grow Coralline algae

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to bring the Alkalinity up to between 7-8 DKH first, and lowering the N03 and P04.

Do not raise DKH by more than 1 DKH per day

OP
OP
Urkin$Urchin

Urkin$Urchin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there you go. Your water parameters are not ideal for sps therefore not ideal for coraline.
Okay, I understand that, but what would be good parameters for it? does my magnesium need to come up, my calcium down. etc? what would be a good route to take?

tqpolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I understand that, but what would be good parameters for it? does my magnesium need to come up, my calcium down. etc? what would be a good route to take?

First step is to raise Mag to 1350. At low Mag, you can’t raise Alk. Second step is to raise Alk to 8. The Cal you can leave it at 500, it won’t hurt.

Then you need to fix your nutrient problem. At 80-160 NO3 is ridiculous for coralline to grow. I’m surprise you’re not overgrown with algae problem. I suggest doing Nopox. Take it slow and it should get down in a month.

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Akl = 0.6 = 6.1ppm

Is Alk at 6.1Dkh? If so, this is on the low side, should be at least 7 for a low nutrient system.

Do you have a fuge with macro algae or are you only relying on GFO to deal with phosphates? NPOX is good to get your nitrate levels down, but in my experience it is not a long term fix.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 125 66.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back