Why can't I grow corals?!

UncleSalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing irritates me more than not being able to grow coral. My Toadstool and Hammer are the only two that grow relatively well. My Monti does "okay" but not great, and my Acans are near death.

I have a 150G Cube, with a 36" T5 Fixture with 2 Coral Blues, a Purple + and a Coral + (I believe) as well as a Reef Breeders Photon 24" in the middle.

I have a MP40 for flow that's near maxed out, and seems to push a lot of water, but I really want to be able to grow some Acros and Stylo. I had a purple Stylo that was doing semi-well but has now withered away to very little. I really would like to be able to grow some nice things in here, and feel like I have a setup to do it, but the corals don't reward my efforts! Are my lights too close/far from the aquarium? I don't own a par meter, but perhaps I should get one.

Any thoughts?

8rPcNgMh.jpg

HnMKeSsh.jpg

E1ZXhN8h.jpg

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, can you post your water parameters for us. That could allow us to try and pinpoint an issue.

Corey

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some asked above, what are your water parameters...and to add to that, how stable are they? I have found if you can establish stable parameters, then you should be able to grow corals... If you have swings in temp, salinity, alkalinity, phospates etc... you will have a challenge. IF you track your parameters, how stable are they?

Another thing to consider, was that gold flake angel I see in one of your pictures? Some of these angels are pickers... and while some others here will say they are "safe" I have seen some angles with bad habits of picking....which can annoy and outright kill sps. Beautiful fish, but could be one reason why you cannot keep other corals.

Good luck! That is a beaut of a tank.

Daniel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noting, even under perfect parameters and lighting, coral growth is not guaranteed. Each spicimen are very different from each other - as an example, I have two Aussie torches both happy and healthy but one is growing and another one is not.

As a side note, I see you have very few corals (IMO) in your tank. My suggestion would be; get your parameters checked, keep them stable at solid levels, buy a few more corals and then with a little patience and time you will see growth from atleast some of them.

Daniel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh forgot to add, what’s your water source? Check it for TDS as this might contribute to high phosphates and too high phosphates may block coral growth.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back