Why did my bluestripes die?

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R. This morning both of my new pipefish were found dead on the sandbed. They had been lying motionless on the rocks for the past few days.

I noticed, when I took the bodies out of the tank, that they each had at least two white spots near their heads. They were too big to be ich.

The tank is 30 gallons with a power filter and two weak pumps. It has some soft corals, Caulerpa prolifera, and dragon's breath macroalgae. The temperature was 79, but yesterday I moved it down to 74 in case vibrio was causing them to be lethargic.

There are plenty of pods in the tank, and I fed them bbs every other day. They were male and female, so aggression wasn't the issue.

Does anyone know what caused their death?

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had them? 74 degrees is too cold for them I would assume. We’re they eating since you bought them? What other fish do you have? We’re they healthy at the store?

OP
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely ate bbs, and I saw them pick at the rocks for food before they have lethargic. They were healthy the first several days after I got them from Reefs4less.com.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back