Why do alkalinity titration tests expire

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of trying to develop a colourmetric alkalinity tester and am wondering about the shelf life of the reagents. The closest example would be the Salifert alkalinity tests, though I plan to use a combined indicator dye and acid reagent. Which made me start to wonder, why do the Salifert alkalinity test expire? They keep the indicator dye and acid titirant separate, and the acid should not expire if tightly sealed, so is it the indicator dye that shifts it's pH range of colour change?

I am planning on trying to use bromocresol green as my indicator, combined into the acid titrant (if it matters). I am hoping it is as simple as diluting the 0.1N acid standard to 0.02N with water containing 4% bromocresol green dye. I am planning on targeting the same volumes of sample and strengths of titrant as the Alkatronic, which I currently use and like. I would expect to need 2-3 months of stability from the mixed reagent. More than that (e.g. 6 months stable) would be even better.

So back to the original question, what is it about the commercial tests that cause them to expire?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of trying to develop a colourmetric alkalinity tester and am wondering about the shelf life of the reagents. The closest example would be the Salifert alkalinity tests, though I plan to use a combined indicator dye and acid reagent. Which made me start to wonder, why do the Salifert alkalinity test expire? They keep the indicator dye and acid titirant separate, and the acid should not expire if tightly sealed, so is it the indicator dye that shifts it's pH range of colour change?

I am planning on trying to use bromocresol green as my indicator, combined into the acid titrant (if it matters). I am hoping it is as simple as diluting the 0.1N acid standard to 0.02N with water containing 4% bromocresol green dye. I am planning on targeting the same volumes of sample and strengths of titrant as the Alkatronic, which I currently use and like. I would expect to need 2-3 months of stability from the mixed reagent. More than that (e.g. 6 months stable) would be even better.

So back to the original question, what is it about the commercial tests that cause them to expire?
Possibly acid concentration increasing because of solvent evaporation.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here in europa everything has an expiration date. Even sugar, honey, vinegar and water.
No it wont expire as long as you don't leave the bottles open.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back