Why do I keep finding dismantled hermit crab legs ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two red leg hermit crabs. A small one and a bigger one. Three times over the last months I have found complete sets of legs in the sand. At first I thought the crabs were dead but days or weeks later I would see one or the other walking around, or both.

Today, again, a full set of legs. I saw the bigger crab today. Alive.

I searched online but could not find evidence that hermit crabs molt. So do they? If not, what’s happening ?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two red leg hermit crabs. A small one and a bigger one. Three times over the last months I have found complete sets of legs in the sand. At first I thought the crabs were dead but days or weeks later I would see one or the other walking around, or both.

I searched online but could not find evidence that hermit crabs molt. So do they? If not, what’s happening ?
I would guess all animals with exoskeletons would have to molt as they grow.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hermit crabs absolutely molt, and that’s almost certainly what you’re seeing.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah hermit crabs molt and can even grow a leg back if lost and in the upcoming molts grow it back ( quite amazing )
After they molt their new exo-skeleton is softer so often hide/ keep low key while it hardens and become less vulnerable

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little info in hermits and molting for you

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little info in hermits and molting for you
It says they eat the old exoskeleton. Should I leave the molted legs in the tank then ? I’ve left them for a few days but they never completely disappeared so I took them out.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says they eat the old exoskeleton. Should I leave the molted legs in the tank then ? I’ve left them for a few days but they never completely disappeared so I took them out.
Your choice whether leave in tank or remove ,I remove cleaner shrimp molts as get stuck in wave makers eventually but leave hermit crab molts in tank unless I'm removing some empty clam shells that I feed and molt is near it ,but won't go out my way to get it

Brian Berry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do not know, I have hermit crabs that have been dying. I do not know if it is a fish that is messing with them. I have 2 clowns and a dotty back that I see messing with them. Good luck

Brian Berry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I saw a post from a experienced reefer saying to someone else about molting.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update : I don’t know if it’s the same one, but one of my hermit crabs died. I thought it was molting but then a nassarius ate it so I guess it was dying. I had it for about a year. The other one is okay.

I just bought a bunch of blue legs and a halloweeen. I hope they live a long life.

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update : I don’t know if it’s the same one, but one of my hermit crabs died. I thought it was molting but then a nassarius ate it so I guess it was dying. I had it for about a year. The other one is okay.

I just bought a bunch of blue legs and a halloweeen. I hope they live a long life.
Unfortunately your better off if they don't live too long. After a few years the shells get so big they turn into wrecking balls roaming your aquarium!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back