Why do my corals not look like in pictures

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's been mentioned but those aren't wysiwyg photos... right? Because the ones you received certainly aren't fully encrusted like the pictures. Aside from that and the colors, the corals just don't looks happy. Id say dial in those phosphates

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so why do these two corals of mine not look like in the pictures, is it just lighting? I have a hydro galaxy 165w led and a ecotech mp10 for flow but they never have looked like in the pictures. How can I get them to look like that. The pictures arnt the best I’ve had the dayglo for 3 months and has barley grown and then defcon from the last wwc live sale.

BBD15FEE-1656-440C-88E5-4573AB2C99C8.jpeg

CC228CE0-3C4E-4446-A98C-3E7A81866C6E.jpeg

1143E6A3-5197-4A00-88BA-5940DE454E6A.png

2E71FFC7-38EC-4F65-9B27-A2F2473A6989.png
FWIW
Could be coincidental, but the only Cyphastrea I ever had was a Rainbow I bought from a reputable dealer, several months ago. It looked great in the photo, but when I got it, it wan't even recognizable. BTW, it died within a couple of months.
From MY experience the only corals that may look different are acros, because they are funny that way. But even they should have a reasonable semblance to the photo (in one light or another), provided nothing catastrophic has happened.
But like I said that was my experience with my one and only Cyphastrea.

Ahbaloch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You gotta understand people do whatever to sell corals

The pics are taken with professional cameras,

Perfect lighting

Then edited to look perfect (saturated like f***)

I just bought a $500 bounce and it looks nothing like the pictures, and j mean nothing bro!!!!

And the buyer said “oh i am sorry, if you leave me a negative feedback, i will do the same for you”

Lol

Servillius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Perfect lighting

I just bought a $500 bounce and it looks nothing like the pictures, and j mean nothing bro!!!!

And the buyer said “oh i am sorry, if you leave me a negative feedback, i will do the same for you”

Lol
That definitely happens with some vendors, however WWC is a great vendor that does their best to fairly represent corals and does so very well. They even provide pics under both bluer and whiter light so people like me can see what we’re getting.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Perfect lighting

Lol
I'm sure you left negative feedback, right LOL

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If corals actually looked like pictures posted by most vendors then the world's reefs would absolutely be protected. Like stated above some vendors just want to make sales. I have seen corals in real life and then saw a post selling them later. The pictures I saw were not similar to what he actually had in his tank. IMO the best place to buy corals is from the local reefing community. Not only do you get a great price but you also create a safety net for yourself. Eventually many of us will have catastrophic die off. When it is time to rebuild a lot of people you bought/sold/traded with are ready to help out.

Last edited:

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone participated in the facebook auctions by Vivid Aquariums?

1. Of all the groups on facebook i'm associated with, regarding the hobby, Vivid might be the worst offender, IMO, when it comes to falsely representing corals.
2. After recently taking part in one of their auctions, not only did my purchases not look like what I bid on, but the condition of the pieces was awful (a whole other topic I won't get into)

I used to tout this place constantly as I had great experiences with them in the past. Now every time I see them post a new "Vivid Aquariums Presents" post, I bite my tongue and keep scrolling. ;Vomit

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 25 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%

Back