Why do my corals not look like in pictures

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can really only use a salt with a lower alk content if your tank has low demand.

What? People use lower alk salt for stability purposes. If you have high demand you should be dosing or using CalRx, not relying on salt which will cause alk swings and cause issues such as burnt tips on acros.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
adobe-photoshop-course-png-logo-16.png

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What? People use lower alk salt for stability purposes. If you have high demand you should be dosing or using CalRx, not relying on salt which will cause alk swings and cause issues such as burnt tips on acros.
The question was “how do I lower it?” Assuming the tank had a low alk uptake, I said the only way to lower it was with a salt with a lower alk. Not sure where the rest of your statement is coming from.

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question was “how do I lower it?” Assuming the tank had a low alk uptake, I said the only way to lower it was with a salt with a lower alk. Not sure where the rest of your statement is coming from.

I guess it was just a misunderstanding on what you meant, sorry.

Reef_Junkies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a par meter... measure your lighting. Maybe they aren't getting enough light even at the top of your tank. Hydro galaxy 165w are usually pretty good for LPS & Softies but not so great for a lot of SPS.

OP
OP
Camaro Show Corals

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Already on that I rented a par meter from the lfs and I’m getting 375 on the top rocks and 125 on the sandbed and 200s in the middle going up to 300 then 375 top rock

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the opportunity to drive down to Reef-a-Palooza in two weeks, you can judge with your own eyes as WWC, JF, Unique, and a few others will be there. As a caveat, if it's like last year, almost every vendor will be usings Kessils on the bluest setting

I have been to a handful of shows and typically bring a daylight spectrum flashlight to cut through all the blue. Unsure if I will bother to go to reefapalooza. Not saying that there aren't colorful corals, just that they are routinely 'misrepresented' with the lights chosen to accentuate. I'd imagine most experienced coral keepers know that; but it may well be that many novice keepers do not.

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As WWC uses radions, any other led unit or lighting setup on the market will likely not reproduce their same coloration, and they take these photos with an SLR not a camera phone.

I have ordered plenty of their stuff that looks just like the photos when it arrives, my tank parameters and lighting setup being different from theirs however, nothing looks the same after about a month. Some actually look better and others never maintain that coloration.

Yes plenty of places photoshop like crazy but WWC’s images are pretty true to reality at least in my experience.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen WWC’s tanks though... they look just like the pictures!

Maybe they do, maybe they don't. I get to Orlando with some frequency; may have to a take a detour. I've got a LFS with similar stock and their stuff fluorseses like crazy under blue lights as well. Since I don't actually run my tanks that way, it makes pictures sort of useless.

But I don't want to make this about WWC. I used the words I used in my initial post to convey a quite precise meaning ..... many, not all.

Ulee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marketing scheme. They play with filters.

I bought some zoas on an eBay bid from this dude 'GW Corals' .had some beautiful zoas ..when .I got them they were literally eagle eye zoas. What a rip off. They take advantage of people.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as they aren't getting worse or dying I'd stay the course of stability. Some frags take forever to wake back up. Looks like you replugged them if it was wysiwyg, which can also set them back a bit.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back