Why do my corals not look like in pictures

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay so why do these two corals of mine not look like in the pictures, is it just lighting? I have a hydro galaxy 165w led and a ecotech mp10 for flow but they never have looked like in the pictures. How can I get them to look like that. The pictures arnt the best I’ve had the dayglo for 3 months and has barley grown and then defcon from the last wwc live sale.

BBD15FEE-1656-440C-88E5-4573AB2C99C8.jpeg

CC228CE0-3C4E-4446-A98C-3E7A81866C6E.jpeg

1143E6A3-5197-4A00-88BA-5940DE454E6A.png

2E71FFC7-38EC-4F65-9B27-A2F2473A6989.png

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
corals can change colors depending on your water based on the tank they came from, location in the tank from the light and the light itself.

OP
OP
Camaro Show Corals

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I keep my water pretty clean
Alk 11
Cal 440
Mag 1360
Nitrate 3
Phosphate .4 I’ve been trying to get it down to .3 but nothing is working
Established 4 year old biocube
Santa Monica .6 algae scrubber
Coral life skimmer
Light schedule is 4 hours of blue in the morning then 4 hours of blue and white then 2 hours of blue again and then 2 hours of actinic.
Using the Red Sea coral pro salt
And 2 fish currently a long nose hawkfish and a orange spotted goby.

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had them on the bottom rocks and just moved them up a little bit yesterday

It can also be they feed them or certain trace elements are lacking in your tank that are there in the vendor.

I know a few vendors that hate WYSIWYG sections because people complain so much the color isn't the same in their tank and they need to spend 30 minutes explaining why it could be different.

OP
OP
Camaro Show Corals

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feed zoo plankton, and use the polyplab booster and every once and a while some nls nutracell and I also run gfo

OP
OP
Camaro Show Corals

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do a 5 gallon water change every week, I’m switching to the Red Sea blue bucket to lower my alk to see if that helps, I was trying the elevated levels but I don’t think I have enough bioload to do that so I’m going to the blue bucket. I feed the fish 4 times a week lightly and feed the corals 2 times a week the days I don’t feed the fish

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to guess, it would be that your tank isnt stable. You've listed a half dozen things that have changed in your tank in the last few months - pick something and just do that. Dont change your lights, salt, flow, pump, additives, placement, alkalinity, sand, rock, livestock, etc... It takes time for some corals to settle in, particularily in a new-ish tank. A week or three isnt long enough to see anything monumental - if you dont believe me, take a look at the grow-out contest threads. There are people who've had the same corals for 6+ months and are just starting to see growth, when all of the rest of there tank is going crazy.

If you have reason to believe there's something thats preventing your corals from growing beyond that, have an ICP test done, make sure you dont have some unknown contaminent in the water. Pick a nutrient and alk level and test frequently and regularily until there's very little swing over the course of the day/week. Stability will help. :)

OP
OP
Camaro Show Corals

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feel my tank is very stable I keep my alk and calc very stable and dose 2 part everyday and have a steady waterchange schedule. This is the first time I’m changing salt most upgrades were when I first got the tank and now everything is going smooth with everything else. But thank you I might do a icp test

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be any of the things already noted. But mostly it's because many of the photos you see are 'fakes'. Maybe not photshopped, but certainly lit and photographed (oversaturated) in a way to accentuate appearance. I have seen many tanks in person that looked nothing like their photos.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my things wind up very close to the wysiwyg color right away and some never seem to get there. I try not to stress too much myself. Step one is keeping them alive, once that's done you can work on coloring. FWIW I've seen plenty of folks suggest that new growth is where you get most of the good color after transplanting and anecdotally I've seen that. I'm an SPS noob, so take this with a grain of salt but I'd get your alk stabilized around the blue bucket levels and see how it goes. If they are growing and still not coloring up then maybe look at lighting.

The chalices and stylos/birdnests I picked up from WWC look pretty darn close to the sale pics. My acros aren't quite there yet but I'm not giving them enough light as I'm paranoid about bleaching. They are slowly getting there though.

OP
OP
Camaro Show Corals

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m the same way my acros and chalices look like the pictures but not these 2. Do you think if I switched to radions I would notice any difference?

OP
OP
Camaro Show Corals

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s what I did a few days ago I moved them up to see if a little more par did anything

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my WWC pieces have come in looking just like the photos but understand they use a professional photo setup and heavy blues.

Any cyphastrea I have added usually nearly die completely and then regrow and are super hardy. I don’t know what the deal is with those but that’s how it has been for me.

OP
OP
Camaro Show Corals

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So my blue bucket comes in today how should I lower my alk I plan on doing 2 waterchanges a week

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 69 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 64 27.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back