Why do people tumble macroalgae?

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about this lately, I have a refugium where I grow chaeto with medium flow, which supplies pods to my DT. But I assume that if it was tumbling, then the pods wouldn't have a chance to settle. What is the benefit of tumbling over just letting it grow in a fuge?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the main objective is to increase light exposure, if the chaeto is just still light won’t reach the bottom of the algae cluster and could promote die off that is not desired by many as some nutrients will be released back into the water column.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the main objective is to increase light exposure, if the chaeto is just still light won’t reach the bottom of the algae cluster and could promote die off that is not desired by many as some nutrients will be released back into the water column.
This! Yes. It's to avoid die off as it grows.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because they saw it on a video series. In theory, it makes sense to get light to every part of algae. Reality is that once it gets large, it probably won’t tumble. I’ve had thick mats of it that I flipped over once a week or so for the same affect. Then I got lazy and just let it grow to where it completely filled my fuge section top to bottom. When removing some, I would try and flip it, but it was super heavy and to be honest did not have any dead spots. Oh and wear gloves when pulling it apart. Those bristle worms love to hang out in there.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. It just helps it get even light. Mine grows fine and doesnt tumble but i still turn it over once a week.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. It just helps it get even light. Mine grows fine and doesnt tumble but i still turn it over once a week.
I never tumbled my algaes also, I don’t see the point and I believe some die out is beneficial, the op was curious on the why some tumbling the chaeto. I don’t even like chaeto to be honest I will always prefer caleurpa to chaeto as a nutrient absorbing technique as I find the caleurpa grows faster and is more effective at reducing nutrients.

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're tumbling macroalgae in your "refugium" that is really just an algae turf scrubber and not a refugium.
I'm not tumbling it myself, nor do I plan to, I was just wondering what the benefits were, which I now understand to be even light distribution

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
+1 also @Chortanator it's a way to make sure wherever you are keeping the macroalgae doesn't have stagnant flow and can get enough nutrients to it :)

homegrowncichlid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
algae are like coral, both needs light and flow and for the same reasons. Most systems without tumbling have some flow, just not at the optimum levels. I've experimented with my algae scrubber long enough to know what they need to maximize their growth rate. Bright lights, and water movement to prevent over growth choking or self light blocking.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back