Why do people use a carbon reactor instead of...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Miami Reef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Miami Reef

Reef Chem Enthusiast
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2017
Messages
17,255
Reaction score
29,666
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...just using a regular mesh bag that the carbon comes in. Is there a reason why you use carbon inside a reactor?

My tank is 300 gallons. It’s super minimal. I only have a protein skimmer, filter socks, UV, and dosing pump. That’s it. I used to have carbon inside the mesh bag for 5 months, but I already removed it today because it was for sure spent up.

My nitrates are 5 and phosphates are .25. I would like to lower the phosphates, but buying carbon (especially for my size tank) is expensive. I have to buy that entire large jar and use it all in the bag at once. Don’t even get me started on GFO.

Does using the carbon reactor use less carbon?
 
Yes, the carbon will be more effective. Pushing water through the carbon will make it work faster. However, carbon in a bag works well too. I definitely wouldn't keep it in a sump for 5 months though.

You're better off using a smaller amount and changing it more frequently.
 
BRS did a video a long time ago about the effectiveness of carbon between passive use(like a bag in your sump), Vs. using a reactor.

Have a search through youtube, I'm sure you'll find it. It was an eye opener for sure.

FWIW, I now run carbon 24/7 in a reactor.
 
I bought a mini BRS reactor so I could be more efficient at using various media. I would once in a while add carbon or phosguard in a bag. Now I can throw whatever I want in the reactor and I feel it will be more efficient. I have my plumbed off of my sump return and can modify the flow through it easily.
 
Thank you guys very much! I’m looking into a reactor. Where is the cheapest place to buy carbon? They are so expensive for something so common.
 
BRS did a video a long time ago about the effectiveness of carbon between passive use(like a bag in your sump), Vs. using a reactor.

Have a search through youtube, I'm sure you'll find it. It was an eye opener for sure.

FWIW, I now run carbon 24/7 in a reactor.

How often do you change the carbon in the reactor (or how often should the carbon be changed)? Thanks.
 
How often do you change the carbon in the reactor (or how often should the carbon be changed)? Thanks.

It’s really only effective the first couple of weeks then it’s saturated . That’s why a smaller amount is recommended with more frequent change out.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new