Why do socks get a bad rap?

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use socks to make the water clear, but don't swap them out on a regular basis. The reason is to preserve clarity of the water column while also preserving the nutrients my refugium needs for algae growth.

IMO, this method gives the best of both worlds. I get clarity and low detritus, and I have low maintenance. Nutrients stay in the water allowing algae growth.

Question: what is the effect of using socks on my pods?

Question #2: Does anyone use socks on an on/off rotation? Two days on, Three days off? Just to "touch up" the water.

ryeguyy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my socks, they are a pain to clean but I recently went to mesh and it's a trade off. The felt ones capture so much but are a pain to clean. The mesh socks don't catch quite as much but a quick rinse gets them clean.

I get them in a 10 pack from my local store

Thanks for the tip nice socks, good price (i went with felt). I bought a 10 pack and can now go a month without washing them. I'm just tossing them in a bucket with a lid after I rinse them out. is that how everyone else is holding socks until wash day?

Before I only had 4 so storing was short term, now with more i'm worried about the month long storage, i've only done it once so far and everything held up.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 13.3%
Back