How are you re-using your filter socks?

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what kind of socks you guys are buying, but the ones I have do not easily turn inside out - in fact it's almost impossible.

So I've just been throwing them in the washer with some bleach, reusing a few times, then throwing them out.

What do you like to do?

ps. I tried no socks for a little while and ended up with tons of detritus in my chaeto so I'm not doing that again

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years i have switched from felt to nylon. The "A" word has caught up with me (arthritis).

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run them through my washer right side out for one cycle then add white vinegar and turn them inside out as best I can and run them again

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of aquatic expert 4”x14 socks. Cut the stupid piece of plastic off the inside and use a 1”piece of pvc pipe (with smooth cap on one side) to push it inside out. Doing it as soon as you take them out while wet makes them way easier to turn inside out.

Then throw them all in the washer with bleach. After they are done i leave them in a bucket till ready to use. Then when ready to use i dip in rodi water to get anything off them before adding to tank.

OP
OP
M

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years i have switched from felt to nylon. The "A" word has caught up with me (arthritis).
How can you tell the difference?

I have some that were obviously felt, but also some that feel kinda like an Arby's curly fries exterior.

OP
OP
M

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of aquatic expert 4”x14 socks. Cut the stupid piece of plastic off the inside and use a 1”piece of pvc pipe (with smooth cap on one side) to push it inside out. Doing it as soon as you take them out while wet makes them way easier to turn inside out.

Then throw them all in the washer with bleach. After they are done i leave them in a bucket till ready to use. Then when ready to use i dip in rodi water to get anything off them before adding to tank.
This sounds like an excellent method - hopefully this can help others too!

I'll cut those pieces of plastic and use the pvc to do exactly that , and when they're wet so easily turned inside out.

Brilliant.

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try turning 2.75 inch socks inside out. Now that’s a pain. I leave them in a bucket of water until ready to put them in the wash, so they don’t dry out. Makes it way easier to turn them inside out.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, you're supposed to turn them inside out?!?

I just throw them in the wash with vinegar and call it a day, maybe that's why my po4 won't go down (not that it's too high anyway, but it's around .06 and my refeugium isn't making a dent)

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the things being mentioned are why I switched to floss cups. They don’t trap everything like socks but it takes me 5 minutes to swap out floss and no wrestling filter socks. Once a month I’ll break out the wet/dry attached to a 5 gallon bucket and vacuum out the sump. I’ll never go back to socks.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try turning 2.75 inch socks inside out. Now that’s a pain. I leave them in a bucket of water until ready to put them in the wash, so they don’t dry out. Makes it way easier to turn them inside out.
I wouldn’t even run socks at that point. Media basket and filter floss.

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mesh here as well.

100 micron 2.75"

I only use it for a few hours a day, feeding and blowing off the the rocks.

When done, straight to the shower to rinse off and repeat.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clean, i use a battery powered hand pressure washer, and first wring them with it as clean as possible.
Then, I thow dirty socks in a bucket with chlorine and tap water.
Take my laddle and give it a good spin every now and then.
As long as i lid the bucket, the chlorine water lasts 2-3 rounds of socks, if i swap them out every 4-5 days.
Good thing about chrlorine is you can smell if its all evaporated out of solution.

Wait for them to whiten up, and then pull them out.
Give a good rince, and then let them bake in the sun since chlorine has a low evap point then water.

Once all dried i save them for when i need to swap out the dirty ones.

I use felt... i used to use nylon until my sump was completely overun with sponges and vermitid snails....

I really like a clean sump... the only dirty i will tollerate, but not appreciate is my fuge... but its a fuge... what can i do about it.

I want a roller, but my IM sump isn't really roller friendly, unless i want to lose the first compartment.

Last edited:

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 micron mesh socks.

Swap em out every 2-3 days, blast with a hose to remove the gunk, turn inside out and blast them to get the seams clean. Maybe 30 seconds total.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatic Experts 200 Micron Socks. I have a Short Hose on my Laundry Sink, Spray both sides off twice, spray down inside sock. Overnight soak in hot water and Clorox. Spray and Rinse off, hang to drip dry, over the sink. I have the Plastic Grommets in my socks, for pod escape, makes it easier to flush the inside out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back