How are you re-using your filter socks?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not very efficient and perhaps slightly risky but I run an empty load in the washing machine to rinse out any residual soap then run my socks with just bleach, full fill and extra rinse.

tuscani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched to media cups with polyfil.. but I was washing the socks with no detergent. Will see how just the media cups go.

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble magus.png

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what kind of socks you guys are buying, but the ones I have do not easily turn inside out - in fact it's almost impossible.

So I've just been throwing them in the washer with some bleach, reusing a few times, then throwing them out.

What do you like to do?

ps. I tried no socks for a little while and ended up with tons of detritus in my chaeto so I'm not doing that again
One member said they clean them with Prime. I have one mounted on my main return line and not to impressed with them personally. I have better luck with the soft media I use which is material meant for stuffing pillows ect cheap and effective

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily, i switched to a Reef Matt for my xxl 750 which used 4 filter socks. I still have a 180 with 2 socks and do as follows. I use 200 micron 8" socks

Let socks dry out as i have enough for about 6 weeks (otherwise you can get mold)
Soak in hot water with light bleach 1 day
Turn inside out and soak again for 1 day
Power wash inside out
Turn right side in and power wash
Dry

It's a pain in the butt and i'd much rather switch to a Reef Matt for my 180 but my sump wasn't built for that and isn't big enough.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have portable mini washing machines for under $100 that some people use.

Zeefishies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the things being mentioned are why I switched to floss cups. They don’t trap everything like socks but it takes me 5 minutes to swap out floss and no wrestling filter socks. Once a month I’ll break out the wet/dry attached to a 5 gallon bucket and vacuum out the sump. I’ll never go back to socks.
I've been using the floss cups for few years now,
So much easier and cheaper ,will never go back to using sox

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not very efficient and perhaps slightly risky but I run an empty load in the washing machine to rinse out any residual soap then run my socks with just bleach, full fill and extra rinse.
I noticed my Skimmers acted weird when running the Filter Socks through the Washer. If you pull the Detergent Drawer out, there’s also some residual detergent or fabric softener there. BTW, we pre-dilute both our detergents, and softeners, in the bottles.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just throw them in the washer on a hot setting. No bleach, and I don’t turn them inside out (though I used to until I did half inside out and half outside out and there was no visible difference).

diana2433

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of aquatic expert 4”x14 socks. Cut the stupid piece of plastic off the inside and use a 1”piece of pvc pipe (with smooth cap on one side) to push it inside out. Doing it as soon as you take them out while wet makes them way easier to turn inside out.

Then throw them all in the washer with bleach. After they are done i leave them in a bucket till ready to use. Then when ready to use i dip in rodi water to get anything off them before adding to tank.
We did not like the nylon too hard to clean. So felt is what we use. We actually power wash them, soak them in a bleach solution, rinse them in RO water and hang them up to dry. They last for months

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use mesh - water wash only and super easy to clean. These are my main socks below and machine washed in warm water only - no bleach, These last 3-4x as long before washings

Poseidon Flow Technologies
1712366230427.png

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switched to Reef Diapers a year ago and am so happy I did. No more rinsing and washing/ wasting water.
Wasting water vs filling landfills

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Want to empty your wallet and destroy the environment?

This is what I use:

Ha, just ordered on Amazon! They'll be here tomorrow. :)

SkinnyMcGinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't used any filter socks in 10 years! (but when I did, changing/cleaning them a total hassle). I feed pretty heavy, and even with no socks my rubble sump, cheatomorpha, protein skimmer, and occasional no pox keep my nutrients right in the range.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed my Skimmers acted weird when running the Filter Socks through the Washer. If you pull the Detergent Drawer out, there’s also some residual detergent or fabric softener there. BTW, we pre-dilute both our detergents, and softeners, in the bottles.
pre diluting (pending what your using) makes the detergent less effective. if the product contains enzymes, they use ph to inactivate them. diluting makes them activate so they won't work later and you end up with nice smelling clothes but not much cleaning.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back