Why do volitan loose their antennas

  • Thread starter Thread starter KING KONG
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

KING KONG

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 26, 2022
Messages
757
Reaction score
377
Location
Toronto
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I noticed my volitan lionfish has lost it's antennae/antenna and then after some research on internet I found it is normal. Is there any specific reason for this liek water quality,etc?
 
So today I noticed my volitan lionfish has lost it's antennae/antenna and then after some research on internet I found it is normal. Is there any specific reason for this liek water quality,etc?
I'm not a scientist or Doctor, but I do have a large lionfish that used to have the horns you are describing. From my research, it is something that happens to most of them naturally as they age. The consensus I read is that they are used by juveniles to help camouflage them. However, some adults may still posses the horns.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new