WHY DO WE ADD PODS TO OUR REEFS?

What reasons do you add copepods and/or amphipods to your aquarium?

• Total voters
OP
OP
Reef By Steele

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
any chance there's a pod that'll consume hair algae? I've been fighting hair algae for a year in my nano, but nothing seems to work.
I sent you a PM

OP
OP
Reef By Steele

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Yes all of my pods can eat hair algae, also the amphipods are really good at that.

brclark82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I ask you how many bottles of pods did you put in the tank? I Also have a sumpless 75 gal. tank and put 2 bottles of Reef Nutrition tiger pods before putting any live stock and never saw them again. I added 2 more bottles later on and they disappeared. I have a spotted Mandarin that I moved from my 29 gallon to 75 g. tank 3 months after adding the pods but I also target feed it and is doing well.

I started with one bottle of 5280 pods from AlgaeBarn and a bottle of their phyto…I dosed Phyto daily for about a month after I added the pods…mainly because that’s how much it came with…I then did nothing for a month or so and then ordered 32oz (2 bottles) of pods from Jays Reef Bugs and added them along with another bottle of his Phyto…it also lasted about a month m…those are the only times I’ve ever added pods or dosed Phyto so 3 bottles plus 2 months of Phyto over 9 months and they are literally all over my tank…I’m going to get back to doing Phyto regularly now

brclark82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sunny in Miami here is a pic of the side wall of my tank, every single one of those white dots is a pod

Attachments

• IMG_0336.jpeg
    IMG_0336.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 51

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with one bottle of 5280 pods from AlgaeBarn and a bottle of their phyto…I dosed Phyto daily for about a month after I added the pods…mainly because that’s how much it came with…I then did nothing for a month or so and then ordered 32oz (2 bottles) of pods from Jays Reef Bugs and added them along with another bottle of his Phyto…it also lasted about a month m…those are the only times I’ve ever added pods or dosed Phyto so 3 bottles plus 2 months of Phyto over 9 months and they are literally all over my tank…I’m going to get back to doing Phyto regularly now
Thanks for giving me a try . And yes phyto really helps with pod populations along with various other things in a reef system . Seems like you did everything correctly!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back