WHY DO WE ADD PODS TO OUR REEFS?

What reasons do you add copepods and/or amphipods to your aquarium?

• Total voters

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
When I first got into the hobby in the 80’s information was harder to gather. No internet, a few really good books but not at the local library, wait for the two monthly magazines I subscribed to, and the advice from the local fish stores (which you could get three different answers from three different stores) OK so not everything changed.

But one thing that has changed is adding pods to your tank. I remember finding Amphipods in my sump back in the 80's and thinking I had some terrible parasite or something. It looked like a flea, and I had no idea if it was good or bad. Finally I found the answer and decided they were way cool.
Amph.jpg

A small store in Lincoln Nebraska had a green mandarin just floating above the rocks and I just had to have one. I was told my tank would need copious amounts of live rock and be about a year old. I waited it out and still I was unable to keep one alive.

Rainbow Wish.jpg

Today you can add a mandarin to your aquarium as soon as your tank has cycled, at least I did. I did a fish in cycle over a month, and “Rainbow Wish” was the 4th or 5th fish added. But this time I knew about Copepods, and added a large order to seed the tank and periodically added more and 2 years later he is gorgeous and beautiful.

Apo.jpg

And there were other hidden benefits as well. I started the Red Sea XL 525 and a 350 at the same time and amazingly I didn’t suffer from the “Ugly Phase” in either tank, I had split the Pods between both tanks. At the time I thought I must just be lucky as I remembered my first saltwater tanks and was prepared for the worst.
525.jpg

350 early.jpg

350.jpg

Yet when I started my third tank, an XXL750, I planned this tank to be for larger predators so I did not add pods as I knew I wouldn’t have any of the usual pod hunters in the tank. And a year or so later I upgraded the XL525 to an S1000 moving everything from the XL525 except the sand bed. Again I avoided the ugly phase in the S1000, but GHA took over the XL525 that I had reloaded with ”wet” rock from my LFS and I was in an ongoing battle with turf algae in the XXL750, man oh man what did I do wrong this time? I was using the same salts and maintenance routine, everything was the same, yet the outcome was different. It wasn’t until much later that I remembered that I had stocked both of the first two tanks with Amphipods and a blend of copepods. I continued to fight both of those tanks until we were at the LFS and my wife @Ocean_Queenie fell in love with a target Mandarin as one of its targets was shape like a paisley, which is what she promptly named it, at which time I ordered another round of pods (yes my loving wife would say quite regularly “Are there enough pods for paisley?, to which I would respond, “I don’t know, I will get some on order”. And whether it was just the passage of time or the addition of pods, the struggle in the XL525 subsided, even though I was still learning and honestly doing a terrible job of controlling my nutrients, I no longer had a GHA problem, yet the turf algae war continued in the XXL750. I really blamed this on the fact that I bought pre used dry rock (as I did with the original XL525 setup as the LFS had gotten a lot of Tonga rock in that had been in someone’s garage for years) but this rock was not ocean rock and had been used in a freshwater system. You can find all my challenges under my personal threads as @HankstankXXL750. Fast forward to April of this year when I got on the wrasse lovers thread and decided to purchase Anampses meleagrides, Macropharyngodon meleagris, and Macropharyngodon bipartitus and knew then I would need a lot more pods, so I reached out to a fellow reefer here on R2R and he helped me to get started culturing my own and I started doing research. This is when I learned about the “curing” benefits of PODS both copepods and amphipods. These benefits include nutrient export by consuming bacteria, detritus and uneaten food and converting it to protein and fatty acids for our fish. Algae control as pods are so small they can get into the tiniest of crevices and clean the algae down to its roots. Copepods aid in the husbandry of certain aquarium inhabitants like our beloved Rainbow Wish and Paisley and we can’t ignore HUSKER our Ruby Red Dragonet (Can’t live in the Cornhusker state and have a red and yellow fish and not name it after your team lol) plus pipefish, seahorses, anthias, and food for many different captive bred fry. Plus as an added bonus almost if not all of your fish in your aquarium as they munch on these protein and fatty acid enriched treats.

Husker.jpg

So now I have fat and healthy Pod hunters, mostly algae free tanks (fighting something in the S1000 since I zeroed NO3 and PO4, and yes I have a microscope, but with my culturing, I haven’t taken the time to look) and am achieving better nutrient values without relying on NO-Pox and Lanthanum chloride. And it’s fun to watch them on the glass.

Please share your thoughts and experiences both successes and failures as we continue this frustrating and rewarding hobby that I can now not live without. Happy and Joyous Reefing one and all.

brclark82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is currently 9 months old, 55 gallon no sump. When I was doing the initial setup and cycling I did lots of research and came across some of the same info around Pods. As I really wanted a Mandarin I decided to seed the tank with pods as soon as my tank cycled and then added another round about a month later as I wanted there to be as large a population as I could get before I started adding things that would eat them.

I assumed that I would add additional pods occasionally and possibly even start culturing my own since that seems like something I would be interested in.

At around month 3 I could see hundreds of pods on the glass and rocks everyday and assumed there were thousands more hidden in the rocks and sand. At the same time there was a very skinny, not so healthy looking, Mandarin at my LFS. I decided I would see if my tank could help him and if I needed to start up my own culture I would.

He fattened up in the matter of just a week or 2 in my tank and is still super happy. I still haven't added any more pods and I've had him for 6 months now and when I look in the tank I still see just as many pods as I did when I introduced him.

I may still at some point need to supplement or start my own culture to keep up, but I think getting pods in the tank early and letting them build up to very large numbers at the beginning was one of the best things I did when starting this tank.

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am gonna start culturing these soon. Anyone know where I can get breeding starter cultures? I would like to do at least 3 different species.
I will be growing Phyto too.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am gonna start culturing these soon. Anyone know where I can get breeding starter cultures? I would like to do at least 3 different species.
Ive ordered from both dinkins aquatic gardens and pod your reef. Both were great. They both sell apoc, tisbe and tigriopus as well as phyto

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ive ordered from both dinkins aquatic gardens and pod your reef. Both were great. They both sell apoc, tisbe and tigriopus as well as phyto
Thank you for the shout out!

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't even realize there were so many extra benefits of copepods. I dump a bottle in 1-2 months for my mandarin goby but clearly I need to do more research!

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the pods you sell are breedable?
Yes most definitely. We’re also happy to help with culturing advice, etc. (It’s all about keeping the fish and reef happy, in our opinion!)

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes most definitely. We’re also happy to help with culturing advice, etc. (It’s all about keeping the fish and reef happy, in our opinion!)
Awesome. I will hit yo up directly when I am ready. getting my air pump today. I am wondering about light thou. I have a "grow" light that I used for my Chaeto when I had it. will that work for Phyto? do the pods need light?

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome. I will hit yo up directly when I am ready. getting my air pump today. I am wondering about light thou. I have a "grow" light that I used for my Chaeto when I had it. will that work for Phyto? do the pods need light?
Yes that should work just fine for phyto. Pods don’t require light, but it definitely won’t hurt either and could help a bit (simulating day/night cycles etc).

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that should work just fine for phyto. Pods don’t require light, but it definitely won’t hurt either and could help a bit (simulating day/night cycles etc).
Actually I was thinking about putting the jars in a window instead. I am in South Florida so plenty of Sun.
I just have to figure out how to keep it from getting too hot.

Ocean_Queenie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get them here.

Ocean_Queenie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got into the hobby in the 80’s information was harder to gather. No internet, a few really good books but not at the local library, wait for the two monthly magazines I subscribed to, and the advice from the local fish stores (which you could get three different answers from three different stores) OK so not everything changed.

But one thing that has changed is adding pods to your tank. I remember finding Amphipods in my sump back in the 80's and thinking I had some terrible parasite or something. It looked like a flea, and I had no idea if it was good or bad. Finally I found the answer and decided they were way cool.
Amph.jpg

A small store in Lincoln Nebraska had a green mandarin just floating above the rocks and I just had to have one. I was told my tank would need copious amounts of live rock and be about a year old. I waited it out and still I was unable to keep one alive.

Rainbow Wish.jpg

Today you can add a mandarin to your aquarium as soon as your tank has cycled, at least I did. I did a fish in cycle over a month, and “Rainbow Wish” was the 4th or 5th fish added. But this time I knew about Copepods, and added a large order to seed the tank and periodically added more and 2 years later he is gorgeous and beautiful.

Apo.jpg

And there were other hidden benefits as well. I started the Red Sea XL 525 and a 350 at the same time and amazingly I didn’t suffer from the “Ugly Phase” in either tank, I had split the Pods between both tanks. At the time I thought I must just be lucky as I remembered my first saltwater tanks and was prepared for the worst.
525.jpg

350 early.jpg

350.jpg

Yet when I started my third tank, an XXL750, I planned this tank to be for larger predators so I did not add pods as I knew I wouldn’t have any of the usual pod hunters in the tank. And a year or so later I upgraded the XL525 to an S1000 moving everything from the XL525 except the sand bed. Again I avoided the ugly phase in the S1000, but GHA took over the XL525 that I had reloaded with ”wet” rock from my LFS and I was in an ongoing battle with turf algae in the XXL750, man oh man what did I do wrong this time? I was using the same salts and maintenance routine, everything was the same, yet the outcome was different. It wasn’t until much later that I remembered that I had stocked both of the first two tanks with Amphipods and a blend of copepods. I continued to fight both of those tanks until we were at the LFS and my wife @Ocean_Queenie fell in love with a target Mandarin as one of its targets was shape like a paisley, which is what she promptly named it, at which time I ordered another round of pods (yes my loving wife would say quite regularly “Are there enough pods for paisley?, to which I would respond, “I don’t know, I will get some on order”. And whether it was just the passage of time or the addition of pods, the struggle in the XL525 subsided, even though I was still learning and honestly doing a terrible job of controlling my nutrients, I no longer had a GHA problem, yet the turf algae war continued in the XXL750. I really blamed this on the fact that I bought pre used dry rock (as I did with the original XL525 setup as the LFS had gotten a lot of Tonga rock in that had been in someone’s garage for years) but this rock was not ocean rock and had been used in a freshwater system. You can find all my challenges under my personal threads as @HankstankXXL750. Fast forward to April of this year when I got on the wrasse lovers thread and decided to purchase Anampses meleagrides, Macropharyngodon meleagris, and Macropharyngodon bipartitus and knew then I would need a lot more pods, so I reached out to a fellow reefer here on R2R and he helped me to get started culturing my own and I started doing research. This is when I learned about the “curing” benefits of PODS both copepods and amphipods. These benefits include nutrient export by consuming bacteria, detritus and uneaten food and converting it to protein and fatty acids for our fish. Algae control as pods are so small they can get into the tiniest of crevices and clean the algae down to its roots. Copepods aid in the husbandry of certain aquarium inhabitants like our beloved Rainbow Wish and Paisley and we can’t ignore HUSKER our Ruby Red Dragonet (Can’t live in the Cornhusker state and have a red and yellow fish and not name it after your team lol) plus pipefish, seahorses, anthias, and food for many different captive bred fry. Plus as an added bonus almost if not all of your fish in your aquarium as they munch on these protein and fatty acid enriched treats.

Husker.jpg

So now I have fat and healthy Pod hunters, mostly algae free tanks (fighting something in the S1000 since I zeroed NO3 and PO4, and yes I have a microscope, but with my culturing, I haven’t taken the time to look) and am achieving better nutrient values without relying on NO-Pox and Lanthanum chloride. And it’s fun to watch them on the glass.

Please share your thoughts and experiences both successes and failures as we continue this frustrating and rewarding hobby that I can now not live without. Happy and Joyous Reefing one and all.
Check out @Reef By Steele for all your needs.

OP
OP
Reef By Steele

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
My tank is currently 9 months old, 55 gallon no sump. When I was doing the initial setup and cycling I did lots of research and came across some of the same info around Pods. As I really wanted a Mandarin I decided to seed the tank with pods as soon as my tank cycled and then added another round about a month later as I wanted there to be as large a population as I could get before I started adding things that would eat them.

I assumed that I would add additional pods occasionally and possibly even start culturing my own since that seems like something I would be interested in.

At around month 3 I could see hundreds of pods on the glass and rocks everyday and assumed there were thousands more hidden in the rocks and sand. At the same time there was a very skinny, not so healthy looking, Mandarin at my LFS. I decided I would see if my tank could help him and if I needed to start up my own culture I would.

He fattened up in the matter of just a week or 2 in my tank and is still super happy. I still haven't added any more pods and I've had him for 6 months now and when I look in the tank I still see just as many pods as I did when I introduced him.

I may still at some point need to supplement or start my own culture to keep up, but I think getting pods in the tank early and letting them build up to very large numbers at the beginning was one of the best things I did when starting this tank.
I agree with you which is one reason I started this discussion. Many people don’t add or won’t get that certain fish. Glad your Mandarin is happy. I suggest dosing phytoplankton as it improves your pods nutritional value.
Please check out mine here.

OP
OP
Reef By Steele

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
We are a new operation since April. Just my wife and I, fellow reefers. All pictures above with the exception of the amphipod are our tanks and from my cultures.
We are dedicated to providing our customers with the best value possible and high satisfaction.

Please give us a look.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back