Why do we do it? How long have you done it and what are your joys

Littlemikey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AF353CA2-7E40-49CB-9290-9A750344AAEA.jpeg
Time and time again people who aren’t into the reefing ask me why I do this and spend the money. I have been in saltwater aquariums since November 2017. For me the answer is simple I like the challenge in it all and I will likely never have the opportunity to see it in the real world.

I enjoy it from the beginning planning how I will save the money and allocating the funds for tank equipment supplies etc.

Then it’s a matter of placement in my house. . The fun part the plumbing the cord management adding the water and allowing all to settle and cycle. Then the lull hits in waiting.

Then the next wave hits what aquascaping, fish, and coral species will get placed in. I’m always complimented on my tank by maintenance friends etc. I’m always looking for the next upgrade to benefit my animals. I work on my tank daily and a lot of times after a stressful I just sit back and watch the beauty that’s taking place in my reef aquarium.

The community is great I attended RAP in Orlando and what a great amazing time.

So why do you do it? Add a photo of your setup!

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BD88BE6E-FF02-45A7-83FF-1C1BDA98B436.png

I’ve been keeping aquariums for 20 years. For me, It is art in a box. It’s my own world that I have created and will watch grow and change.

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovely topic! Just started. So I can only say - the basic tank maintenance and testing has been very therapeutic for me. No fish yet. And it’s been YEARS since I felt this excited or passionate about anything. :) Cycling. Nothing exciting to see. Already mapping out a 70 with sump, if I’m able to maintain this one for 6 months to a year.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back