Why do we use ganja lights to grow chaeto?

Patrick.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to lay out some assumptions to spark a conversation. The assumptions might be misplaced in which case I’d love to have them cleared up.

Most of the high end grow lights sold to light our refugiums were designed to bloom marijuana plants.

Those in horticulture who use grow lights to promote vegetative growth use lights in the daylight to bluer spectrum.

Why do we use red grow lights for the vegetative growth of our macro algae? The Triton method recommends a blend of blue and daylight t5. Why are fuges so commonly lit by bloom spectrum lights?

I’m trying to design my next refugium so I’d love some clarity here.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question and following. I decided to use the best of both worlds... (H160 and A160WE) I think the horticulture light has a more "usable" spectrum for plants therefore should work well for marine algae?

1582042934393.png

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use black box equivilant grow lights for my cheato, They do great, I harvest a dense 5g bucket every 2-3 weeks (I have to remember to pull it out).

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to lay out some assumptions to spark a conversation. The assumptions might be misplaced in which case I’d love to have them cleared up.

Most of the high end grow lights sold to light our refugiums were designed to bloom marijuana plants.

Those in horticulture who use grow lights to promote vegetative growth use lights in the daylight to bluer spectrum.

Why do we use red grow lights for the vegetative growth of our macro algae? The Triton method recommends a blend of blue and daylight t5. Why are fuges so commonly lit by bloom spectrum lights?

I’m trying to design my next refugium so I’d love some clarity here.
How is using a redder spectrum light to bloom marijuana, not a horticultural application used to promote vegetative growth?

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is using a redder spectrum light to bloom marijuana, not a horticultural application used to promote vegetative growth?
Red/Blue lights are sold in horticulture for more than just weed. It's hard on the eyes if you have to work in that area, but its much more efficient to not use green spectrum since the plants don't need them or use them. I use them to keep my palms and vegetables happy indoors in the winter.

They are commonly associated with weed, I am guessing, because weed needs lots of light and these can put out a lot of the light they need without wasted energy for spectrum the plants don't need. And you can't exactly grow weed outside in most places in the US.

OP
OP
Patrick.S

Patrick.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red/Blue lights are sold in horticulture for more than just weed. It's hard on the eyes if you have to work in that area, but its much more efficient to not use green spectrum since the plants don't need them or use them. I use them to keep my palms and vegetables happy indoors in the winter.

They are commonly associated with weed, I am guessing, because weed needs lots of light and these can put out a lot of the light they need without wasted energy for spectrum the plants don't need. And you can't exactly grow weed outside in most places in the US.
Can you help me understand the bloom vs veg settings on so many grow lights in that case?

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you help me understand the bloom vs veg settings on so many grow lights in that case?
No idea. My grow lights are single setting, On/Off. My point was that the blue and red spectrum is not something special to cannabis. It wouldn't surprise me if there were settings for different types of plants or growing times.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone that owned a commercial weed warehouse that pumped out 100 pounds of high grade cannabis a month... There are two light spectrums that we use. The blue light is for vegetative growth. The natural light on the summer is bluer in spectrum. We trigger the plants to start flowering by increasing the length of darkness to 12 hours. There is a flowering hormone that is produced when the sun is up but degrades when exposed to light.. so longer darkness..flowering hormone builds up.. Flower!!

We use redder lights to flower as they contain more wavelengths that induce flowering and bud growth... because the light in the late summer and fall is redder because the sun is lower and passes through more atmosphere.

If you are growing chaeto then you want to run the bluer lights or the "veg" program.

On another note, this is where I also learned that the idea that LED lights can grow things with half the wattage is a total myth. We had SOO many LED companies setting up examples grows in our warehouse in order to sell us $300,000 worth of LED units. They did grow and produce quality buds, it's just the net weight of the buds was much less than halides. "Oh great, we saved $3,000 on our monthly power bill and would produce $120,000 less of product" "add more lights was there answer".

Anyways.. off topic.. blue is what you want.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone that owned a commercial weed warehouse that pumped out 100 pounds of high grade cannabis a month... There are two light spectrums that we use. The blue light is for vegetative growth. The natural light on the summer is bluer in spectrum. We trigger the plants to start flowering by increasing the length of darkness to 12 hours. There is a flowering hormone that is produced when the sun is up but degrades when exposed to light.. so longer darkness..flowering hormone builds up.. Flower!!

We use redder lights to flower as they contain more wavelengths that induce flowering and bud growth... because the light in the late summer and fall is redder because the sun is lower and passes through more atmosphere.

If you are growing chaeto then you want to run the bluer lights or the "veg" program.

On another note, this is where I also learned that the idea that LED lights can grow things with half the wattage is a total myth. We had SOO many LED companies setting up examples grows in our warehouse in order to sell us $300,000 worth of LED units. They did grow and produce quality buds, it's just the net weight of the buds was much less than halides. "Oh great, we saved $3,000 on our monthly power bill and would produce $120,000 less of product" "add more lights was there answer".

Anyways.. off topic.. blue is what you want.

Outstanding reply and insight. Thank you sir.

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sweat. Half the challange..ok, maybe 70% of the challenge of professionally growing of cannabis is separating the BS advice from truth. Having a minor in botany certainly helps.

I suppose the same can be said of marine aquariums. Just today someone told me that "there is no bacteria in the water column, it is only on the rcoks and substrate. Umm....then how did it get there?

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that chaetomorpha is part of the green algae family. Being that red light is a signal of decreased photon energy to photosynthetic organisms, triggering blooming/flowering, seeding, and other preparations for a period of dormancy, and algae is a simple organism in a state of basically perpetual bloom, really having no vegetative state, it would make sense that red light should promote better chaetomorpha growth.

I've always thought it was pretty neat that we can trigger flowering in marijuana by extending it's darkness period. Perhaps more so that interrupting that period once it's begun, or letting temperatures rise too high, can cause hermaphrodites.

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red light is not a signal to plants, the duration of light (or more accurately darkness) is a signal to plants. Chaeto absorbs both red and green light. In the charts I have seen it has the ability to absorb red and blue light, almost equally with a decided lean towards blue light.

Most "grow weed" lights in the vegetative setting are both red and blue but they will appear red. The flowering setting contains much less blue light and should be avoided.

Almost every plant and animal on planet earth uses the length of the day to signal certain activities. From Elk deciding to get it on to sunflowers blooming, it is all the amount of day light.

Gary Inwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use black box equivilant grow lights for my cheato, They do great, I harvest a dense 5g bucket every 2-3 weeks (I have to remember to pull it out).
so you have a Chinese black box over your sump?
is your sump enclosed?
how high is it above your sump?
asking these questions as i was told on here is was not a good idea to put my mars aqua 165w led over my sump/refugium.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not overthink lighting chaeto. If it is going to grow, you can light it with a CFL in a clip-on reflector and have to prune it in half every few weeks.

IMO, having some iron in the water and enough, but not too much, N and P is way more important than the light.

Nobody077

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple COST, most people use cheaper light setups that are simply marketed as marijuana grow lights. The focus is on the grow and bloom spectrum and they dont care about full visual spectrum to keep cost down. Grow light is a grow light, tomatoes,fruit,flowers,weed or chaeto.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back