Why does my reef tank have high Ca and Alk?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy, I'm just trying to keep the Alk as stable as possible. So you don't think the Alk going from 8.4 to 9.5 in three days is too much of a change?

I think it most likely that it didn't actually happen like that, which is why I suggest more monitoring. Alk doesn't just rise, and after dosing the product you dosed, it will rise instantly. I'm suspecting that alk testing variability may be a dominant factor.

OP
OP
N

Nick Barbier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it most likely that it didn't actually happen like that, which is why I suggest more monitoring. Alk doesn't just rise, and after dosing the product you dosed, it will rise instantly. I'm suspecting that alk testing variability may be a dominant factor.
Thanks Randy, I haven't dosed the Ca for about 2 weeks because it was over 500 ppm the last time I tested it. I will probably test it tonight. As previously mentioned, the NO3 is about 2 ppm. I'm dosing 1 ml of NOPOX daily. I have read that some corals like a slightly elevated level of Nitrate, about 10-20 ppm. Should I discontinue dosing NOPOX and monitor the NO3? I'm also dosing Aquavitro FUEL (amino acids, carbohydrates, vitamins, and polyunsaturated fatty acid supplement) for corals twice a week.

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at my wits end! I have a 125g mixed reef with a medium to heavy bioload. Until a year or so ago, I have always dosed equal parts of 2 part solution and I had good success with my corals. Then, someone at my LFS told me that you never dose equal parts of your 2 part solution. So I started lowering or increasing the dosing of Ca and Alk depending on whether they were low or high. That's when everything went out of wack and I haven't been able to get my water parameters back in balance ever since. The directions for my 2 part solution says to dose equal parts of 2 part solution. Yet my LFS folks say never to dose equal parts. That's only for beginners or people that never test their tanks. This advice totally contradicts the dosing directions of my 2 part solution and several articles that I have read.
The current tank parameters for my 125g mixed reef are: Alk: 12.5 DKH, Ca: 525, SG: 1.026, No3: 0. I would prefer to have the Ca at 430 and the Alk at 8 according to the Red Sea salt mix that I use.. My question is how do I lower my parameters to acceptable levels? I did a 36 gallon water change. But that only lowered the Ca from 530 to 525 and Alk from 12.9 to 12.5. I have lost corals from what I believe to be Alk too high.
Please help!
Thank you in advance for your advice.
I believe in the old adage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it... Also, take advice with a grain of salt. I had a lfs tell me to go ahead and add a 5 gallon bucket of salt that I over dosed with kalkwasser. "Glad I got a 2nd and 3rd opinion... And I always try to follow manufacturers instructions...

OP
OP
N

Nick Barbier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe in the old adage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it... Also, take advice with a grain of salt. I had a lfs tell me to go ahead and add a 5 gallon bucket of salt that I over dosed with kalkwasser. "Glad I got a 2nd and 3rd opinion... And I always try to follow manufacturers instructions...
Thank you MightyMO. I work hard on my my two tanks (125g and 75g) mixed reefs.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back