Why does no one here use Hydor powerhead?

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of the gen 3 that are brand new. One is 1350gph the other 2450gph. I use em for mixing salt and i am going to use them when I start a frag system I think they are great

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and its great. I am waiting to see if my hubby got the expensive ones I REALLY want for Christmas and if he didn't I will get two more.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Koralia powerheads for years without any major problems. When people say Hydor though I always think of something else. On a side note; I'm a big fan of Aquaclear, but I guess Hagen/Marina is the same thing? No problems there either. GL.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had/have them and they work great. Got Vortechs because long-term I wanted to go with a better look and no wires in tank.....

I use the old Koralias to mix salt etc

Joesiv419

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two and both of them developed shorts and dumped voltage into my tanks. It was maybe ~16v. When the wave maker would kick the powerheads on and off everyone got a little jolt. For the record, wizzing on an electric fence when I was about 18 was a far more shocking experience. They wont get anymore of my money regardless. Just my experience!
I have the same issue. I have 3 Hydor power heads of various models, sizes, and ages (3-5 years). All three of them are contributing ~20VAC to ground. I recently discovered the issue when I was messing with my tank while not wearing shoes. Apparently, the carpet in my basement does not provide enough isolation to prevent me from receiving a nice shock. I usually wear shoes when working on the tank, so I hadn't gotten hit before this. I pulled out the DMM and measured ~60VAC to ground! I isolated the problem to the three Hydor power heads, with each contributing ~20VAC. Once they are unplugged, all is well and there is not a significant potential in the tank. The fact that all three of mine have failed makes me think it is a significant issue.

Silly clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a couple, but also had the voltage leak problem someone else mentioned. Switched to Tunze. Made in Germany. About the same size and flow, a little more expensive, but not much. They have been more reliable for me.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some with a used tank. Used them in water change container until I got shocked. They went in the trash.

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue. I have 3 Hydor power heads of various models, sizes, and ages (3-5 years). All three of them are contributing ~20VAC to ground. I recently discovered the issue when I was messing with my tank while not wearing shoes. Apparently, the carpet in my basement does not provide enough isolation to prevent me from receiving a nice shock. I usually wear shoes when working on the tank, so I hadn't gotten hit before this. I pulled out the DMM and measured ~60VAC to ground! I isolated the problem to the three Hydor power heads, with each contributing ~20VAC. Once they are unplugged, all is well and there is not a significant potential in the tank. The fact that all three of mine have failed makes me think it is a significant issue.

^^ I see this is your first post. Let me be the first to welcome you to R2R! Welcome! Great community you've joined!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back