Why Does Stuff Happen When You're On Vacation?

dsinsocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PH has been stable for... well, forever... fluctuating from 8.0 to 8.2 every single night for months.

The instant I go out of town something changes, of course. I left on Wednesday and I checked my Seneye tonight and I see my PH has climbed by .1 point each of the past two days (8.3 yesterday and 8.38 tonight). I'm not going to be back until Monday, and the person at home doesn't know anything about my tank other than how to put food in there while I'm gone, so I'm freaking out a little bit right now.

What could be causing this, and at which point do I need to really start getting concerned?

1565932033548.png

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I go on vacation, something happens! I don’t know what it is but I attribute it to your daily or semi-daily husbandry.

OP
OP
dsinsocal

dsinsocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't even been away long enough for a change in husbandry to be noticed! lol

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't even been away long enough for a change in husbandry to be noticed! lol
Lol. It’s strange that your pH jumped that high like that. I wouldn’t be concerned unless it continues to jump up higher. What you can ask your friend to do is easy: just go in the room that the tank is and chill for awhile. He’ll breathe out CO2 and it’ll help bring the pH down. Easiest fix in the world.

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went on vacation for 3 weeks and my ATO stopped working and doser got clogged.

Mind you everything was working PERFECTLY fine till I got to Europe...

Literally

Neptunium93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the perfect thing to explain it would be Murphy’s law anything that can happen will happen. So usually Illy hire a Lfs to come and check my tank when I’m off on vacation.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what you'd expect to happen to pH when you go on vacation - nobody is in the house producing CO2, so the pH of the tank goes up. :) You'll see it drop back down when you come home.

Also, a 0.3 change in pH means absolutely nothing in the scheme of things.

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i went on christmas vacation a friend was watching my fish feeding them.. she put her hands in with lotion snd killed like 6 of my fish..

When i came back i had to do a 50% water change and carbon.

The ph though i wouldnt worry about.. mine changes alot 8.3 to 8.0 i dont even test the ph anymore.

OP
OP
dsinsocal

dsinsocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. It was just shocking to see something that was previously clockwork-consistent for months suddenly change THE DAY I left. Not being there to monitor it in person is was freaked me out.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know your pain. On two occasions I've had my return pump fail while on vacation. 1st time my father caught it while checking on the dog. 5 hour emergency trip home without family leaving at 11pm. Get home and wait for lfs to open. Buy new pump, replace and back on road to meet up with family again next day. Second time tank was in my basement and it was winter. Neighbor watching tank did not pick up on it. Tank temp dropped to around 60 for a few days. Total coral loss (mostly sps). Luckily fish survived. Then two weeks ago while away GFI tripped. Luckily neighbor noticed tank water level was down and called. While on the phone I was able to troubleshoot it back to GFI. Reset it and it was fine for a couple of days. It went probably another 3 times before I got home. Thankfully we caught it each time.....nice to have cameras on the tank and sump.

It does sound like your ph jump is from lack of CO2. I notice this every time my family and i go away. As mentioned you are ok unless it continues to climb but as mentioned I understand your fears.

OP
OP
dsinsocal

dsinsocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know your pain. On two occasions I've had my return pump fail while on vacation. 1st time my father caught it while checking on the dog. 5 hour emergency trip home without family leaving at 11pm. Get home and wait for lfs to open. Buy new pump, replace and back on road to meet up with family again next day. Second time tank was in my basement and it was winter. Neighbor watching tank did not pick up on it. Tank temp dropped to around 60 for a few days. Total coral loss (mostly sps). Luckily fish survived. Then two weeks ago while away GFI tripped. Luckily neighbor noticed tank water level was down and called. While on the phone I was able to troubleshoot it back to GFI. Reset it and it was fine for a couple of days. It went probably another 3 times before I got home. Thankfully we caught it each time.....nice to have cameras on the tank and sump.

It does sound like your ph jump is from lack of CO2. I notice this every time my family and i go away. As mentioned you are ok unless it continues to climb but as mentioned I understand your fears.

Sweet baby Jesus, what a nightmare. lol I don't think I'd ever leave the house again for more than 3 hours, with luck like that!

OP
OP
dsinsocal

dsinsocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it stopped climbing today. Topped out at 8.39 at lights-out, so pretty much identical to where it was yesterday (8.38).

1566010153227.png

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th
That's exactly what you'd expect to happen to pH when you go on vacation - nobody is in the house producing CO2, so the pH of the tank goes up. :) You'll see it drop back down when you come home.

Also, a 0.3 change in pH means absolutely nothing in the scheme of things.
This!

You not being there lowered the homes CO2 therefore raised your pH. I agree and would be interested to see it drop when you get home Monday.

Keep us posted!

OP
OP
dsinsocal

dsinsocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's amazing how quickly external factors like ambient CO2 can effect the water chemistry. I'm always learning in this hobby.

Jensworld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to ask your house sitter if they have a window open or if the door is being opened for longer than normal times. This along with you not being home might be a contributing factor.

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's amazing how quickly external factors like ambient CO2 can effect the water chemistry. I'm always learning in this hobby.
Yep ran into the same thing recently when no one was in a house with one of my tanks. PH skyrocketed above 8.6 and realized I had to re-calibrate the probe.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet baby Jesus, what a nightmare. lol I don't think I'd ever leave the house again for more than 3 hours, with luck like that!
Yeah tell me about it. This is with over 14 years of keeping a reef tank. Stuff happens I guess. My biggest lesson out of this is when you're away make sure you have someone good watching the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
8.3 is still safe.

Back