Why does the Neptune Systems ATK sucks so much?

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredibly frustrated. I should have replaced my Tunze.

This thing doesn't work as stand alone, it doesn't work on the apex.. it doesn't work period.

Ive gone through the task manager a dozen times. The unit doesn't turn on to pump water..

This is the code I have..

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If ATKs1 OPEN Then ON
If ATKS2 CLOSED Then OFF
When On > 005:00 Then OFF
Defer 000:10 Then ON
Defer 000:04 Then OFF
Min Time 060:00 Then OFF

It does nothing. It never pumps water. I have to turn the switch on (from auto) when I need it to fill the display to the right level.

There are dozens of people with the same issue all over different forums asking for help. It shouldn't be this difficult.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef might be able to help.

I don't know anything about the ATK other than Bulk Reef Supply neglected to even mention it in there "Best of 2019" videos. My guess is to save Neptune some bad publicity because they were quick to prop up Neptune products in every other video. I mean, if BRS won't even mention the ATK as an option, they can't have much faith in it...

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I can think of is if your switches are named correctly. Mine looks exactly the same but I have the "stock" name for the switches.

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Swx3_1 OPEN Then ON
If Swx3_2 CLOSED Then OFF

U

User1

View Badges
Incredibly frustrated. I should have replaced my Tunze.

This thing doesn't work as stand alone, it doesn't work on the apex.. it doesn't work period.

Ive gone through the task manager a dozen times. The unit doesn't turn on to pump water..

This is the code I have..

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If ATKs1 OPEN Then ON
If ATKS2 CLOSED Then OFF

It does nothing. It never pumps water. I have to turn the switch on (from auto) when I need it to fill the display to the right level.

There are dozens of people with the same issue all over different forums asking for help. It shouldn't be this difficult.

No idea but maybe submit a ticket to Neptune and see how that goes. I have had both the original ATK and updated v2. Both work great. I did have one issue with the original that it stopped working one day. Turns out it was my fault. Er, well my German Shepherds fault really because I had the lid off the container and she was drinking the water. I guess some of her hair got in there, then wrapped up in the ATK pump, and it stopped it. I caught it, removed the hair, replaced the lid, and Bob's your Uncle it started to work.

Updated with the newer version and works great. They do have a bad rap but I can only speak for my experience and it has been reliable.

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throw it away and get the tunze.
I have the 1st generation atk and I was never able to get to work. I have the tunze that just works. I never had to configure anything.

Neptune replaced the atk with a new atk2 that fixed some of the problems the 1st one had. But I am slowing moving away from apex products.

Wav pumps died replaced with echotech
Atk no working replaced with tunze
Salinity probe not reliable I now use the hanna salinity checker.
My lights are no longer managed by apex now I use the kessil controller.
My heaters are handled by ink bird controller.
Afs was not feeding at times replaced
With the eheim auto feeder.
When the dos dies I will replace that with echotech.
Staying away from trident waiting to see what else is available.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you want your level water at on the sensor assembly? The system is designed to pump water up to the bottom sensor and then turn off. The second sensor is really only there as a fail-safe.

This is my code:
Fallback OFF
Set OFF //initial off
If WaterL OPEN Then ON // if the lower sensor has no water, turn on
When On > 002:00 Then OFF //if the unit is on for more than 2 minutes throw an error
Defer 000:10 Then ON //be off for 10 seconds before running for power on
Defer 000:04 Then OFF // be on for at least 4 seconds when on
Min Time 030:00 Then OFF // do not run more then 30 minutes
If WaterH CLOSED Then OFF // if the top sensor has water turn off

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can chime on this and I am currently using one on my one month old tank. I am using it as a stand alone right now as I am awaiting IKEA cabinets to arrive so I can set up my controller cabinet for Apex and etc.

From day one until now, I have never been able to leave ATK alone and running. There is always time I have to unplug and plug back in to get the pump to run and top off. I think it has something to do with iQ Fill on the FMM module?? Correct me if I am wronf @SuncrestReef. I think if you experience more evaporation than what iQ Fill has learned or if you add or remove an equipment that effect water level, it will mess up with the iQ Fill?? I think iQ Fill will learned the last five top offs and if something change it will not re-learn again?

I had to get the FMM to re-learn by unplugging sensor cables and power cable, plug in the power cable and let it fill to the first sensor level, and then plug the sensor cable back in starting with sensor #1 first.

The crazy think is my Smart ATO micro on my QT tank that cost half of Neptune ATK works flawlessly and I have never has to tinker around with it even though I add or remove water unexpectedly. The sensor just figure it out itself. No need to reset and etc.

LDog74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you, I hate the ATK. I have spent thousands of dollars on Neptune products for my new set up (see build thread) and love their products. I was so disappointing on the ATK.

Went to hook up the ATK on my tank. Spent 4 hours trying to get it the ATK to work correctly. Got so frustrated ran down to the LFS and purchased the Tunze 3155. Had it installed and running correctly in 30 min.

Like I mentioned I am a Neptune fan but I am glad I ended up with the Tunze. I don't have to worry if it's not working correctly or going to fail...

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can chime on this and I am currently using one on my one month old tank. I am using it as a stand alone right now as I am awaiting IKEA cabinets to arrive so I can set up my controller cabinet for Apex and etc.

From day one until now, I have never been able to leave ATK alone and running. There is always time I have to unplug and plug back in to get the pump to run and top off. I think it has something to do with iQ Fill on the FMM module?? Correct me if I am wronf @SuncrestReef. I think if you experience more evaporation than what iQ Fill has learned or if you add or remove an equipment that effect water level, it will mess up with the iQ Fill?? I think iQ Fill will learned the last five top offs and if something change it will not re-learn again?

I had to get the FMM to re-learn by unplugging sensor cables and power cable, plug in the power cable and let it fill to the first sensor level, and then plug the sensor cable back in starting with sensor #1 first.

The crazy think is my Smart ATO micro on my QT tank that cost half of Neptune ATK works flawlessly and I have never has to tinker around with it even though I add or remove water unexpectedly. The sensor just figure it out itself. No need to reset and etc.

IQ Fill is only used when the ATK is running in standalone mode (not connected to the Apex).

In my opinion, the biggest problem with the ATK is that Neptune's documentation doesn't really explain how it's designed to work and what the programming actually does, so when people set it up it doesn't do what they think it should; it only runs once per hour, the water should never go above the lower sensor, the AC adapter should not be plugged in to a controllable outlet, etc. That's why I wrote the tutorial I mentioned above.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant comment on thr ATK but I never have a problem with two float switches in series as a fail safe connected to the break out board and programmed through Apex to activate my Aqualifter pump. Has worked flawlessly for over a year. Just a suggestion incase the ATK doesn't work out in the end. Good luck and hope Neptune tech can help.

AZ_Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And support sucks. My optical sensor stopped working after 2 months, and they keep telling to take pictures when it happens again! I was like no way! One failure is enough. So I ended buying a new optical sensor instead going through warranty.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought the ATKv2 recently. Not because I intended to run it as an ATK, but because it was a less expensive way to acquire the individual components that I wanted. I have found running float/optical switches through the Apex to be a more than acceptable way to run top-off with as much redundancy as you wish.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using mine for a year. It has worked great. Only issue I have had is that if the optical sensors get dirty, it won't top off. So every few months I clean them, and it works great.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I can think of is if your switches are named correctly. Mine looks exactly the same but I have the "stock" name for the switches.

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Swx3_1 OPEN Then ON
If Swx3_2 CLOSED Then OFF

I agree that this is probably the problem. If the names don't match, it's not going to do anything.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IQ Fill is only used when the ATK is running in standalone mode (not connected to the Apex).

In my opinion, the biggest problem with the ATK is that Neptune's documentation doesn't really explain how it's designed to work and what the programming actually does, so when people set it up it doesn't do what they think it should; it only runs once per hour, the water should never go above the lower sensor, the AC adapter should not be plugged in to a controllable outlet, etc. That's why I wrote the tutorial I mentioned above.
Good write up! But, it does not talk about stand alone and also your three items that you mentioned above: it only runs once per hour, the water should never go above the lower sensor, the AC adapter should not be plugged in to a controllable outlet, etc

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so according to FAQ on standalone section on Neptune website: https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/atk-help/

If your ATK has filled within the last hour, then it will not operate again for another hour. The ATK is designed to only fill once an hour. If you remove the power to your FMM, then re-apply it the PMUP should begin operation immediately. To reset IQ-Fill, simply power cycle the FMM module. After power cycling, the maximum run time will be 5 minutes until there have been enough refills to relearn your aquarium’s filling behavior.
This has not been the case. When I remove the power from FMM and reapply it, the PMUP does start but only for few seconds even though the water level is still way below the sensor. I have to remove the power and unplug two sensors cables to let it run longer and then stop the PMUP by plug the sensor cables back in once the water reach the sensor.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be interested in knowing what optical spectrum the atk is tied to (not sure if I have v1 or v2, if there is a way to tell then let me know) bc I feel like my kessil h380 red fuge lights don’t trigger it

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throw it away and get the tunze.
I have the 1st generation atk and I was never able to get to work. I have the tunze that just works. I never had to configure anything.

Neptune replaced the atk with a new atk2 that fixed some of the problems the 1st one had. But I am slowing moving away from apex products.

Wav pumps died replaced with echotech
Atk no working replaced with tunze
Salinity probe not reliable I now use the hanna salinity checker.
My lights are no longer managed by apex now I use the kessil controller.
My heaters are handled by ink bird controller.
Afs was not feeding at times replaced
With the eheim auto feeder.
When the dos dies I will replace that with echotech.
Staying away from trident waiting to see what else is available.
It's so funny how reefers often have opposite experiences. I had to replace the pump on my Tunze 1 year in. (works fine otherwise) My WAVs are by far my most reliable pumps, and they replaced Maxspect Gyres that never wanted to stay in operation. I definitely agree on the salinity probe though. I can use it to see swings, but it's not accurate otherwise. My DOS have been solid.

I'm starting to think that most of the equipment in this industry is junk and sometimes we just get lucky with certain pieces.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%
Back