Why has my green star polyp been withdrawn?

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached are a couple pics of my gsp, I grew it from a frag on this rock, sandwiched by a couple soft corals and a leather. Never had a problem but now it has been weeks since I've seen it out like normal.

I dose no3pox at 1mL per day, filter socks and a skimmer. My nutrients are
No3 3ppm
Po4 .06 ppm
Cal 480 ppm
Mag 1480 ppm
Alk 9.8
Temp 78
Salinity 33 ppt
Par levels is around 100 where it is on the rock.

Does anyone see anything funny about the pictures or parameters?

IMG_56821.jpg IMG_56791.jpg

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached are a couple pics of my gsp, I grew it from a frag on this rock, sandwiched by a couple soft corals and a leather. Never had a problem but now it has been weeks since I've seen it out like normal.

I dose no3pox at 1mL per day, filter socks and a skimmer. My nutrients are
No3 3ppm
Po4 .06 ppm
Cal 480 ppm
Mag 1480 ppm
Alk 9.8
Temp 78
Salinity 33 ppt
Par levels is around 100 where it is on the rock.

Does anyone see anything funny about the pictures or parameters?

IMG_56821.jpg IMG_56791.jpg
It’s hard to see much in those pics. Does it have algae on the skin? What about that Flame Angel?..... has it been in there with it the whole time?

OP
OP
D

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to see much in those pics. Does it have algae on the skin? What about that Flame Angel?..... has it been in there with it the whole time?
It's hard to get a good pic. I took some under white and blue lights and the pics were way to blue. There doesn't appear to be algae on them. Flame angel has been in there a few months. Haven't seen him pick at them yet.

I read somewhere that I should try scrubbing them with a toothbrush and then blast with flow, might try that next

OP
OP
D

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does any one think there could be chemical warfare going on? The gsp is sandwiched between the leather and another soft coral, I forget the name.

I tried scrubbing off but no success. At the base of the leather i have a red star polyp type coral. Could that be ticking the leather off, causing it to tick off the gsp?

Jdubyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you may want to stop dosing no3pox. GSP and most soft corals will thrive with more nutrients in the water. With the no3pox, filter socks and skimmer all running your water may be too sterile.

While I don’t believe chemical warfare between soft corals is to blame here, I would suggest running carbon in the tank if this is a softy dominant tank. GSP is a weed and will grow through almost anything. However, if there is something else wrong that is irritating it, any chemical warfare that is happening in the tank is not going to help it bounce back.

OP
OP
D

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you may want to stop dosing no3pox. GSP and most soft corals will thrive with more nutrients in the water. With the no3pox, filter socks and skimmer all running your water may be too sterile.

While I don’t believe chemical warfare between soft corals is to blame here, I would suggest running carbon in the tank if this is a softy dominant tank. GSP is a weed and will grow through almost anything. However, if there is something else wrong that is irritating it, any chemical warfare that is happening in the tank is not going to help it bounce back.

I just tested my nutrients and I'm at undetectable phosphate and 2ppm nitrates. I wonder if it needs more phosphate now that you mention it.

Tater_kamik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed on mine that when using no3pox that some of mine drew up. Ended up using less at a time but more frequently until my issue was resolved and I could stop using it.

OP
OP
D

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed on mine that when using no3pox that some of mine drew up. Ended up using less at a time but more frequently until my issue was resolved and I could stop using it.
Good plan, I might try to stop using it but honestly am nervous, my tank has never been cleaner lol not one spec of algae. Then again I dose hardly any volume per day

OP
OP
D

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys here is a update... No luck so far and some brown film algae was on it, some is breaking away from the rock.
I've reduced nopox to .5 mL a day and added carbon.

Nitrates are at 3-5. Phosphate .05 -.09, slightly higher than previously

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back