why is my alk going down?

mooputingtong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tank is fairly new about 2 months old. i have only 4 frags of new sps, few lps and toadstool a 5 small nano fish. When i tested alk 3 days ago it was 7.5. So i dosed red sea liquid alk 3ml a day for 3 days which should increase alk about .3-.4, but when i tested today it actually went down to 7.2. Im not sure whats causing alk to go down even with dosing every day. im very lost right now.

edit: i used hanna checker alk so it would be pretty accurate.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk consumption is common in new tanks. As a new tank matures a lot of things grow you really dont see. It could be this.
Also have you tested Calcium? It is related to Alk.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is fairly new about 2 months old. i have only 4 frags of new sps, few lps and toadstool a 5 small nano fish. When i tested alk 3 days ago it was 7.5. So i dosed red sea liquid alk 3ml a day for 3 days which should increase alk about .3-.4, but when i tested today it actually went down to 7.2. Im not sure whats causing alk to go down even with dosing every day. im very lost right now.

edit: i used hanna checker alk so it would be pretty accurate.

Hanna checker has a resolution that falls within your readings, you can test the same sample and it will read 7.5, then test againand get 7.2, that is within the tests resolution of accuracy for hanna checkers.

OP
OP
mooputingtong

mooputingtong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hanna checker has a resolution that falls within your readings, you can test the same sample and it will read 7.5, then test againand get 7.2, that is within the tests resolution of accuracy for hanna checkers.
i got 7.2 from mine and 7.6 from LFS.

OP
OP
mooputingtong

mooputingtong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alk consumption is common in new tanks. As a new tank matures a lot of things grow you really dont see. It could be this.
Also have you tested Calcium? It is related to Alk.
calcium and mag was in a good range. I dont have a test kit for cal and mag so i will need to test it in local LFS. Hows cal related to alk?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nitrification also consumes alkalinity.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back