OP
OP
gabesreef

gabesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry about it unless it carries the alkalinity higher than you want in your tank. If that happens, you can do water changes with a lower alk mix.
Okay but as far as that small drop in alkalinity due to the water change it shouldn’t affect any coral?

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay but as far as that small drop in alkalinity due to the water change it shouldn’t affect any coral?

1) A normal water change shouldn't be anything to worry about. Your levels are fine. I dose but make sure not to change more than 0.5 per day.

2) I am experiencing something similar with mine as well. My alk is not dropping like it used to. I have mostly soft and LPS coral. I was logging alk for about 4 months and averaging about 0.9 per week drop. I was dosing 2x weekly. All of a sudden my Alk is steady. I hardly dose at all now. I even bought fresh reagent for my Hana and same results. Tank looks good. I was super busy in the warm months and neglected the tank a bit. I'll be spending more time on it now and try to figure it out.

FYI, my tank is 3+ yrs old and I hold my alk ~9.0. Haven't made any significant changes in months other than husbandry.

OP
OP
gabesreef

gabesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) A normal water change shouldn't be anything to worry about. Your levels are fine. I dose but make sure not to change more than 0.5 per day.

2) I am experiencing something similar with mine as well. My alk is not dropping like it used to. I have mostly soft and LPS coral. I was logging alk for about 4 months and averaging about 0.9 per week drop. I was dosing 2x weekly. All of a sudden my Alk is steady. I hardly dose at all now. I even bought fresh reagent for my Hana and same results. Tank looks good. I was super busy in the warm months and neglected the tank a bit. I'll be spending more time on it now and try to figure it out.

FYI, my tank is 3+ yrs old and I hold my alk ~9.0. Haven't made any significant changes in months other than husbandry.
Okay thanks:)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No. It will be a small drop, like 0.2-0.4 dKH per change.

OP
OP
gabesreef

gabesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added microbacter7 to my tank a few days ago and it was at 8.7 the I tested today and it went up to 8.9. I believe the microbacter is what was causing my alkalinity to increase. I’m doing a water change today to bring down the alk I’m going to test this theory by testing before I add the microbacter and then the next day. I know you guys are saying it’s not a big deal but the fluctuations are annoying me and I want to know why this alk creep is happening.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back