Why is my clownfish acting all crazy. Also does anyone know what kinda algae this is?

Gabe aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown that I got around 2 days ago hasn’t stopped swimming crazily and usually only stays up at the top of the tank!
image.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the system? How are your parameters? It’s hard to tell from the pic but looks like hair algae to me? This would indicate high nitrate, which could certainly cause distress in fish at a high enough level. Hiding places are also not well distributed there, fish will (barring water chemistry issues) behave more naturally and calmly when they know they have an abundance of hiding places accessible to them at all times.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Gabe aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay
How old is the system? How are your parameters? It’s hard to tell from the pic but looks like hair algae to me? This would indicate high nitrate, which could certainly cause distress in fish at a high enough level. Hiding places are also not well distributed there, fish will (barring water chemistry issues) behave more naturally and calmly when they know they have an abundance of hiding places accessible to them at all times.
thanks

Upvote 0

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown that I got around 2 days ago hasn’t stopped swimming crazily and usually only stays up at the top of the tank!
image.jpg
Most clown fish questions are answered with “ a clown fish being a clown fish.” I would assume it is getting used to it's new environment. The first year and a half mine stayed in the left upper side of the tank where they were being hosted by my return nozzle. Since, they have graced my duncan and allows it to host them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carter o51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most clown fish questions are answered with “ a clown fish being a clown fish.” I would assume it is getting used to it'sne environment. The first year and a half mine stayed in the left upper side of the tank where they were being hosted by my return nozzle. Since, they have graced my dunca and allows it to host them.
This sounds exactly like my clown. Stayed in the upper right corner by the return nozzle for probably 6 months until one day he got spooked with my hand in the tank and went into my Duncan and hasn’t left since. Clowns are weird but just give them time to get used to your system

Upvote 0

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds exactly like my clown. Stayed in the upper right corner by the return nozzle for probably 6 months until one day he got spooked with my hand in the tank and went into my Duncan and hasn’t left since. Clowns are weird but just give them time to get used to your system
I think that is why they are named clowns.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back