Why is my coral growing sideways?

burton14e7

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 9, 2016
Messages
96
Reaction score
79
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have their SPS growing sideways and/or know if it's indicative of something? The left side of it is growing vertically but everything on it's right is growing towards the center of the tank.

This is either a WD or an Orange Passion. I got it and the one above at the same time and get them confused. +1 for daylight lighting.

IMG_20191216_111447.jpg
 
I don’t see anything but new branches growing. Don’t worry about the direction they are growing until it starts to form a colony. But normally flow is what causes sps to grow in funny directions. I don’t see your frags doing that.
Also I don’t think you have to worry about shading with frags or mini colonies. Shading really only affects colonies that table or become big enough to block light underneath itself.
 
I don’t see anything but new branches growing. Don’t worry about the direction they are growing until it starts to form a colony. But normally flow is what causes sps to grow in funny directions. I don’t see your frags doing that.
Also I don’t think you have to worry about shading with frags or mini colonies. Shading really only affects colonies that table or become big enough to block light underneath itself.

I don't think it's shading either, it's lit by T5s and LEDs and I don't see shade when observing it under light. Interesting though, I'll keep watching it as it grows!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new