Why is my lion fish gulping air ?

Ken Roane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it flukes in the gills? I’ve treated with PraziPro that works for a few weeks then going to the surface poking mouth out gulping.
Need experienced member with knowledge of this behavior

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

@lion king may be able to help.

A fish at the top like that can mean other things than fluke. I would check temp and stray voltage, and also for ammonia? Another thought would be O2 levels, how is surface agitation or other aeration.

Could be a number of other things all interrelated. Any other fish showing signs? Some more info on the tank and water parameters will help.

Hopefully we can figure it out soon.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your ammonia and nitrite. Any power outage that may have shut things down, or high temp. Are you currently treating with anything. Has there been copper used. This is usually a sign of struggling to get oxygen. How long have you had him, previously chemical poisoning that would effect oxygen could be unknown.

OP
OP
Ken Roane

Ken Roane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

@lion king may be able to help.

A fish at the top like that can mean other things than fluke. I would check temp and stray voltage, and also for ammonia? Another thought would be O2 levels, how is surface agitation or other aeration.

Could be a number of other things all interrelated. Any other fish showing signs? Some more info on the tank and water parameters will help.

Hopefully we can figure it out soon.
thank you for your reply. The conditions for the tank are normal and all the other fish, mostly tanks are fine showing no signs of stress etc. I'm pretty convinced it's gill flukes because I've treated the lion who's pretty large, with PraziPro to some success that last's a few weeks. One of our members suggested hyposalinity 15 ppt treatment. It will be difficult to take the lion out of this 400 gallon tank to isolate and treat, so I'm hoping to do it in the large tank with other fish, no corrals.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do 2 doses of prazi, the reason is to get the hatching eggs. If it is flukes you would need to treat the whole tank, and do 2 doses as per prazi pro website. Sooner of later it will effect the other fish.

OP
OP
Ken Roane

Ken Roane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do 2 doses of prazi, the reason is to get the hatching eggs. If it is flukes you would need to treat the whole tank, and do 2 doses as per prazi pro website. Sooner of later it will effect the other fish.
I’m doing the 25% water change now and will also do the second recommended treatment. Thanks for your response

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a foxfire that does the same thing after feeding. Then back to normal after a while. Been doing it for over a year.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back