Yellow tang gulping air.

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tang very frequently comes up to the surface and gulps air. He's big, fat, and seemingly healthy. He's been doing this for weeks or maybe months. Can anyone explain why he does this?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A video would be nice. Assuming the rest of the fish are fine, etc - it could just be a habit - or he could have some kind of minor fluke infestation or irritation? I'm assuming there would be no reason for low oxygen in the tank. Have you tested your parameters lately?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no protein skimmer and flat water surface would mean little-to-no oxygen in the water. Tank info and pic or video is helpful

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very common behavior in tangs. No issues.
I think this is my answer. Thanks! It's a 240 gallon tank with lots of surface agitation and about 3000 gallons an hour flow into a roller mat. Plus a large protein skimmer. So I don't think I could have low oxygen.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think this is my answer. Thanks! It's a 240 gallon tank with lots of surface agitation and about 3000 gallons an hour flow into a roller mat. Plus a large protein skimmer. So I don't think I could have low oxygen.
Great. I mean the fact that no other fish have illness /symptoms and its going on for months suggest its a habit (i..e something this fish just does). The only time I have seen a tang (or another fish) do this - and IMHO its not common, it if the tank is too small - or the fish is being bullied into a corner - however, given the further information you gave - that sounds unlikely as well. Good luck with your tank. (A movie/picture would still be interesting!)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a behavioral thing. I've had random fish skim the surface for no apparent reason and even swallow air.

There is a common misconception that reef fish, in low dissolved oxygen environments, will gasp at the surface. Funny thing, only certain shallow water freshwater fish do that (think carp) - marine fish and deep lake African cichlids are not adapted to breathing from the surface. When they are faced with low oxygen levels, they breath faster, or will head into water currents.

Jay

Reef-_-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasse does something similar and even let's me pet him. Though yours doesn't seem to be curious like my wrasse

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Here's a video, as requested:

3 of my tangs do this and likely yours are picking at algae hidden by the tank trim. I occasionally shave this algae for the tangs to snack on

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back