Why is my Mp40 pump and controller whining?

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a water change on my tank and a little bit of water shot behind the tank but the controller was unharmed and dry but for some reason its started making a whining sound. What could it be?

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your MP40?

forgot to add! I opened up the controller and no water damage as well and when i put it back together the whine from the pump stopped... but still controller whine is there

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it’s the controller and not the dryside? I’d unplug it, make sure the dry side is properly lined up with the wet side and then try it again.

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it’s the controller and not the dryside? I’d unplug it, make sure the dry side is properly lined up with the wet side and then try it again.

I checked and only heard whining from the controller and not the pump :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome to my world and ecotech will find a reason you are at fault and try to sell you a new part. Take it from experience.
They make a great product but fail at after the sale service and support

Last edited:

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So funny. Mine started doing the same thing on my mp10 this morning. Mines abiuat 3 months old too. It did work itself out after 5 minutes ir so after I unplugged it. Looking forward to what you find out.

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So funny. Mine started doing the same thing on my mp10 this morning. Mines abiuat 3 months old too. It did work itself out after 5 minutes ir so after I unplugged it. Looking forward to what you find out.

I opened the controller the other day and and put it back together and the pump whine stopped :) but controller whine is still there...

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the problem. Ihave had a mp40 for 5-6 years, flawless.

I know this sounds weird, but they do make a fairly loud whine af full speed. Is it possible you are now just noticing? (No offense,)

Does the noise increase and deacrease with the power? If you are sure it is the dry side, and that the noise is louder than you remember it may be the bearing inside. But it shouldn’t be if new.

Just some thoughts.

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know this sounds weird, but they do make a fairly loud whine af full speed. Is it possible you are now just noticing? (No offense,)

Does the noise increase and deacrease with the power? If you are sure it is the dry side, and that the noise is louder than you remember it may be the bearing inside. But it shouldn’t be if new.

Just some thoughts.

Im happy your stuff has worked properly and no offense at all :) i have not tried that! But im running it on a really low setting but i dont mind the whine of the controller, only the pump but the pump has stopped that :)

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine was at 30% and woke me up from a dead sleep when it started. Seen my conch Gary on top of it and thought he had something to do with it. I knocked him off, messed with the dry side, then cut power and powered back up. Did it for a couple minutes then quit.

Just some thoughts.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back