Why is my tank low in nitrates?

FlameangelLover

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 25, 2025
Messages
833
Reaction score
810
Location
detroit
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so with my tank I like to understand the why of problems while I’m fixing it. I understand I can dose nitrates but I would like to know the chemical reason why I would have undetectable levels of nitrate in my reef tank (salifert test). I have NO PROBLEM getting high Po4 lol i actually struggle to keep Po4 low lol. Any thoughts on why I would have low nitrates that my salifert test can’t pick up?
 
What are you feeding your tank, and how much are you feeding? What does your filtration look like as well?
 
Corals? Mine were nitrate sponges, hard to keep them elevated enough at times.
 
Corals? Mine were nitrate sponges, hard to keep them elevated enough at times.
Omg duhhhhhh I have ***** softies and a lot of corals in general in a relatively small tank! Your right! But wouldn’t Po4 be low to them?
20260203_145245_088E3A4F-59C3-4A95-8025-3577B50598D5.png
 
Only frozen mysis and I have a hang on back skimmer and filter
How powerful is your protein skimmer? Any chance of bioload being removed by the protein skimmer too effectively before it gets a chance to be broken down to nitrates by bacteria?
 
Only frozen mysis and I have a hang on back skimmer and filter
How powerful is your protein skimmer? Any chance of bioload being removed by the protein skimmer too effectively before it gets a chance to be broken down to nitrates by bacteria?
I have no idea I kinda just let it go . But wouldn’t Po4 be low as well if that’s the case?
 
why I would have undetectable levels of nitrate in my reef tank (salifert test).
The simple answer is your no3 is below the detectable level. You likely have more than enough no3. I would call your aquarium lightly populated with corals, not an insult. I would not worry about nitrogen being limited.
 
Last edited:
why I would have undetectable levels of nitrate in my reef tank (salifert test).
The simple answer is your no3 is below the detectable level. You liking have more than enough no3. I would call your aquarium lightly populated with corals, not an insult. I would not worry about nitrogen being limited.
So ignore it and keep going with my normal maintenance? I thought corals needed it to grow
 
So ignore it and keep going with my normal maintenance? I thought corals needed it to grow
Yes they do, however I see fish and algae in your aquarium. Flame Angel is one of my favorites. I’m more than certain your tank is not nitrogen limited.
 
So ignore it and keep going with my normal maintenance? I thought corals needed it to grow

lol okay cool . My corals do look fine to my eyes and the small amount of algae I have doesn’t bother me so you’re right I’ll relax. I just hit 1 year so i decided to take this whole reefing thing more serious and noticed this potential problem
 
Your reply to measuring low nitrate, that is might be a potential problem is a good one. You seem to be aware that numbers may not tell the whole story, and chasing them can become a real problem very quickly.
 
Your reply to measuring low nitrate, that is might be a potential problem is a good one. You seem to be aware that numbers may not tell the whole story, and chasing them can become a real problem very quickly.
Your right I’ll relax and keep doing what I’m doing and moderatly check numbers. My corals look fine and my main parameters (salinity alk and calc) are all within acceptable ranges so I’ll definitely just relax a bit . I almost went to the store to buy stuff to dose nitrate
 
I worry more low levels than high. I've had dinos and nuisance algae in tanks that tested at or near zero N and or P. Ive never had a problem at higher levels. Zero makes me nervous so I'll dose when I test low.
Is 1ppm cool to stay at ?
 
i agree there is a fair amount of algae there. With hair and bubble algae growing, I would not worry about nutrients being low, green algae doesn't grow because the nutrients are low know what I mean
 
i agree there is a fair amount of algae there. With hair and bubble algae growing, I would not worry about nutrients being low, green algae doesn't grow because the nutrients are low know what I mean
lol yall making me embarrassed I promise it’s not that bad in person and my coral and fish are happy lol. I promise I don’t just keep a dirty tank for fun
 
lol yall making me embarrassed I promise it’s not that bad in person and my coral and fish are happy lol. I promise I don’t just keep a dirty tank for fun

I'd rather have all that algae in my tank than Dino's so you're all good. I would only be worried if you had a sterile tank AND 0 nitrates/Phosphates... then you've created prime real estate for the really bad stuff to move in.
 
lol yall making me embarrassed I promise it’s not that bad in person and my coral and fish are happy lol. I promise I don’t just keep a dirty tank for fun

I'd rather have all that algae in my tank than Dino's so you're all good. I would only be worried if you had a sterile tank AND 0 nitrates/Phosphates... then you've created prime real estate for the really bad stuff to move in.
lol no . I have a hard time keeping Po4 low and I’ve never tested nitrates . I do weekly water changes but I added the skimmer so I could hopefully stretch that out to biweekly. I’m a year in and I would much rather prefer biweekly . My elements barely move enough to dose anything besides alk
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 31 30.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new