Why is there 3 drains on this sump?

leighton.bingham

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 10, 2022
Messages
310
Reaction score
190
Location
Lewisberry, pa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at many sumps, but it seems they all have three drains on them. I know what two of the holes are for. whats the third for?
 
I have been looking at many sumps, but it seems they all have three drains on them. I know what two of the holes are for. whats the third for?
Google Bean Animal overflow

Also it just means the sump is compatible for it. You don’t need to use them

For example my sump has two drains / sock holders. My tank only has one drain. So I only use one on the sump
 
do you have a photo/diagram? Do you mean 3 drains going into the sump from the display? If so, this would be for a "BeanAnimal" style overflow, where there is 1 primary drain at full siphon, one open channel drain, and one emergency drain.
 
Hi All, i just bought a used tank. Its got center overflow with three Durso pipes with the same height. Is this even done the right way ? Take a look at picture.

Idk which method to do for overflow with the three drains.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2154.jpeg
    IMG_2154.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 69
Hi All, i just bought a used tank. Its got center overflow with three Durso pipes with the same height. Is this even done the right way ? Take a look at picture.

Idk which method to do for overflow with the three drains.
"Right way" is subjective.
Will it work? Absolutely! Can it be done a different way to make it quieter? Probably so!

I use the 'bean animal' method, and it's really quiet. It's one low 'hook' without the air hole, one higher 'hook' with the air hole, and the highest is a straight pipe for an emergency overflow.

The "higher 'hook' with the air hole" will set the height of the water in the overflow. You have to adjust the flow on the lower one to make the water level to drain into the higher 'hook', but lower than the air hole... so it doesn't constantly gurgle and suck air.
 
I have been looking at many sumps, but it seems they all have three drains on them. I know what two of the holes are for. whats the third for?
I have 3 pipes going into my sump. One is for the main siphon drain, one is for excess drain, and the other is for the emergency overflow drain. Only the first 2 have water flowing in normal operation.
I have the emergency piped into the lowest water section and the pipe stops near the top of the sump... so I can hear the water running pretty loudly if the emergency overflow is draining. If that pipe has water flowing, I want to know!!!
 
I been researching bean animal overflows.

1) will it work with tall overflows with wier

2) whats the pipe height or drain line between main drain & trickle down
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new