Why is there no competitors to the sea swirl?

Klemmetsmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure? I think the original was called a “Sea Sweep” and the newer version is the “Sea Swirl?” It could be a patent issue? Those usually last for 10 years, but I’m pretty sure these have been around for longer than that. Maybe it’s just a thing where there‘a not a big market for them so no one has seen any money in them to justify the large investment to market a new version?

Roadkillstewie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see,

Sea Swirl is 400+

You've got a couple variants of pump head wavemakers that are considerably cheaper, think it was hydor that originally came out with one.

Then there's the VCA random flow generator.

^These are all cheaper and less obtrusive than the Sea Swirl...

Then we have the various new powerheads with controllers and of course Gyre variants, which all allow more placement options and thus more control/influence around design within the general $ range.

...my guess would be that it's seen as a more limited market considering other various options.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As title states... I'm surprised more companies are not making anything to compete with this product. It seems like a really great solution to eliminating dead spots.
Because they cant make it for 30 bucks so they can sell it for 500 bucks. :zany-face:
But it's a welcomed thought.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On large tanks, a sea sweep is amazing. Few have tanks this big. Imagine a Tunze 6200 or MP60 that is rotated back and forth - magnets on the glass cannot do this. They can really provide flow and then have some time before the blast comes again.

They do seem to last a long time. I have some that are at least 20 years old and work as well as they did when new. I don't use them right now, but you have to pry them out of my cold, dead hands.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On large tanks, a sea sweep is amazing. Few have tanks this big. Imagine a Tunze 6200 or MP60 that is rotated back and forth - magnets on the glass cannot do this. They can really provide flow and then have some time before the blast comes again.

They do seem to last a long time. I have some that are at least 20 years old and work as well as they did when new. I don't use them right now, but you have to pry them out of my cold, dead hands.

I have a sea swirl 3/4 going on 20 years now. I also have a pair of 1" on my current display.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see,

Sea Swirl is 400+

You've got a couple variants of pump head wavemakers that are considerably cheaper, think it was hydor that originally came out with one.

Then there's the VCA random flow generator.

^These are all cheaper and less obtrusive than the Sea Swirl...

Then we have the various new powerheads with controllers and of course Gyre variants, which all allow more placement options and thus more control/influence around design within the general $ range.

...my guess would be that it's seen as a more limited market considering other various options.

Sea Swirls serve a different purpose. The actual Sea Swirl is the end of a return line. It can also support a VCA adapter easy enough. I have them attached. Also you can add a Y splitter. Few options when paired with a proper return pump lots of options on flow.

It seems some here are confusing the Sea Swirl vs Sea Sweep. Made by the same person/company. The Sea Sweep is not a return line but uses similar tech but handles more torque so a power head can be attached to the end. It also allows the cord to be hidden through the device. As @jda noted you get some pretty incredible flow patterns when combining the two features. A lot better than a Gyre.

I believe the owner of Sea Swirl or the creator is Ed. Really nice guy. These are a hidden gem in our hobby and probably more often used by long term hobbyist.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not the same but am just 3d printing some sea sweeps that am making .

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have old ocean motions since the 90s . They still work. But modern wavepumps kinda make them obsolete
OceanMotion is not the same company as Oceans Motions. The former is a powerhead/flow pump moving device (rather like the Sea Sweep). The Sea Swirl is a flow diverter device - I used them in the 90's. I don't recall any competitive units.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OceanMotion is not the same company as Oceans Motions. The former is a powerhead/flow pump moving device (rather like the Sea Sweep). The Sea Swirl is a flow diverter device - I used them in the 90's. I don't recall any competitive units.

Ocean Motions is a flow diverter. 4 or 6 separate streams. Different concept than the Sea Swirl. Both really don't have competition which is sort of nice. Some may argue but price but that is moot in my opinion. Anyone who has used either product will understand.

Hobbyist who are looking for clean installations as it relates to visible power heads these are viable solutions. Both also work well with closed loops.

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old tech but so darn good. I had a 6-way OceansMotion on a closed loop with an Iwaki pressure pump and a pair of 1" Sea Swirls as my return on my 6' 120G in 2003 or so?. I'd totally consider a Sea Swirl again. I was looking at them a few years back and was shocked by the cost. I wish I had my originals.

Anecdotally that tank had the most efficient flow setup I've ever had in a tank, though it consumed a LOT of power. One thing for sure, it was way ahead of it's time.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 sea sweeps that have Tunze 6255's attatched to them.
I will be able to run them low then increase when the tank grows in.
Yes they stick out above the tank.
No dead spots and lots of random flow.
I went this route because I did not want anything attatched to the walls.
I had 6 powerheads in my old 120 to get the proper flow. 4 Tunze and 2 Jebaos.
This setup will give me all the flow I need and then some.
20240125_154202.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back