Why is there no competitors to the sea swirl?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or or, for most tanks, Vortech/gyre/etc. actually are better .....

But are they? Or are they just easier to install or what everyone has been told they have to use?

I do agree that they are easier to install but as to "better" to me that is a bit subjective. There are without a doubt better hobbyist, installations, implementations, designs, and so forth. I personally view them as another tool to be looked at when designing the system.

I mean you get it as you had a 400+ gallon system with various supporting tanks at one time.

Paris by Night

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently planning the upgrade from 50 gallon SC cube to a 100 reg. I usually browse the old Reefkeeping TOTMs for inspiration. I was looking today at the old Coralbox 01 which seemed very short-lived, and is now out of stock everywhere. Bit smaller than sea swirl. They must’ve stopped production immediately when the patent was valid.

Definitely considering buying sea swirl or sea swirl type rotating mechanism to give me some nostalgia and better flow spread on top.

Been seeing lots of DIY videos so if to no avail, I will just buy a CCTV mount AND cross my fingers.

Paris by Night

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently planning the upgrade from 50 gallon SC cube to a 100 reg. I usually browse the old Reefkeeping TOTMs for inspiration. I was looking today at the old Coralbox 01 which seemed very short-lived, and is now out of stock everywhere. Bit smaller than sea swirl. They must’ve stopped production immediately when the patent was valid.

Definitely considering buying sea swirl or sea swirl type rotating mechanism to give me some nostalgia and better flow spread on top.

Been seeing lots of DIY videos so if to no avail, I will just buy a CCTV mount AND ross my fingers.

magallonbuckinbulls

Beers, Bulls, and Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Funny that this post come pops up. I'm currently making a better version of these and will be listed at a much lesser price. Prototype is almost done
That’s awesome. I’m also working on a wave maker (water displacement) device.

Did you get a patent? I’m currently working on prototype.

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome. I’m also working on a wave maker (water displacement) device.

Did you get a patent? I’m currently working on prototype.
nice, no need for a patent. sea swirls patent ran out over 20 years meaning its open market and cant be protected. If it were a 1st time invention then yes but at this point its a waste of money to try to protect it.

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Swirls and Sea Sweeps are expensive but they really dont break, they can last forever. The WavySea which was then taken over by vertex was smaller and also had a controller. You would be able to control exactly how much it turns in each direction and also control the speed at which it turned. The WavySea wasn't made for holding a powerhead like Sea Swirl made and called it the Sea Sweep. I used to use the WavySea and modified it to hold tune pumps. Until this day there really isnt anything like it. It was cheaper than the Sea Swirls American made devices but it was really crappy, they would break very often. They would also lose every setting every time they were powered off. I admit they don't look as nice but they were popular in an era when most tanks had hoods / canopies. I have been thinking about going back and getting a Sea Sweep but I have a eurobraced tank which means the device protrudes even more into the tank. Here are a few old pics I just dug up where you can see them, I was running two for returns and one with a Tunze powerhead.
Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 2.27.03 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 2.27.13 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 2.27.22 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 2.27.32 AM.png

OP
OP
tdyrkacz

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think I will just bite the bullet and get one. Seems there are no other options and while I have seen some DIY solutions, I don't want a monstrosity on my tank... also it would probably fail at some point.

nickm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice, no need for a patent. sea swirls patent ran out over 20 years meaning its open market and cant be protected. If it were a 1st time invention then yes but at this point its a waste of money to try to protect it.
Any more info on your prototype? Intrested as I am wanting to use a Tunze 6255 on it. I have a sweep and 6255 already but wanted a second. I have a second Tunze coming in, but haven't bit the bullet on the sweep.

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I now know why few have made this. It took many design changes just to make this cycle correctly. Here is the prototype. Im going to make this in all black fittings along with different nozzles that will come in the kit for different flow patterns. I have to water test this for a while to make sure everything cycles and holds up well. almost there :)

nickm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I now know why few have made this. It took many design changes just to make this cycle correctly. Here is the prototype. Im going to make this in all black fittings along with different nozzles that will come in the kit for different flow patterns. I have to water test this for a while to make sure everything cycles and holds up well. almost there :)

Looking good so far.

Paris by Night

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can’t access the video on my end. Can you post a link to YouTube or Vimeo etc?

I’m excited to see and support!

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed another company out of Germany called Ocean motion to see if they shipped to the U.S., but no answer yet. They are cheaper than the Sea Sweep
If you are speaking of "Oceans Motions" they were not out of Germany, "they" was a single man named Paul based in Canada. Wonderful person, wonderful product and unmatched customer service. I am not sure if he is still selling the product, he fell upon some hard times several years ago and I am not sure how he is faring right now. We lost touch many years ago.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old tech but so darn good. I had a 6-way OceansMotion on a closed loop with an Iwaki pressure pump and a pair of 1" Sea Swirls as my return on my 6' 120G in 2003 or so?. I'd totally consider a Sea Swirl again. I was looking at them a few years back and was shocked by the cost. I wish I had my originals.

Anecdotally that tank had the most efficient flow setup I've ever had in a tank, though it consumed a LOT of power. One thing for sure, it was way ahead of it's time.
I still have several units in a box somewhere. I started with the OM squirts, but upgraded to 4-way and 6-way devices later on.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back