Why is there no competitors to the sea swirl?

OP
OP
tdyrkacz

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I have 2 6255s in my tank and am considering putting them on the sea sweep same as you. My main reason is eliminating dead spots. I thought about the gyre, but don't like the idea of having to constantly clean them and I still don't think they will eliminate dead spots due to my rockwork. I think the sweeping motion is most likely to get best coverage without constantly blasting corals.

I see a few opinions here stating that modern powerheads eliminate the need for the sweep. I currently have 2 6255s and 2 mp40s and I feel like I have quite a bit of dead spots in my 72x30x20 tank.

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’d have to consider the amount of smaller tanks being built as well. I can’t fit a sea swirl in any of my tanks

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocean Motions is a flow diverter. 4 or 6 separate streams. Different concept than the Sea Swirl. Both really don't have competition which is sort of nice. Some may argue but price but that is moot in my opinion. Anyone who has used either product will understand.
There was briefly an OM competitor, something like floWolf if memory serves (at German prices). I ran an OM4 for many years on a closed loop - works great if you’re willing to carve a bunch of holes in your tank.

Ernie Mccracken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were granted a US patent which has a pretty large scope, so I assume that has something to do with it.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were granted a US patent which has a pretty large scope, so I assume that has something to do with it.

Looks like that patent expired in 2021 so go wild

Ernie Mccracken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like that patent expired in 2021 so go wild

I think most hobbyists don't want to deal with returns anymore. Closed loops, SCWD, oceans motions, seaswirl, eductors, etc. - all dead or on life support.

99% of tanks just pile on as many Vortechs or Gyres as needed.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most hobbyists don't want to deal with returns anymore. Closed loops, SCWD, oceans motions, seaswirl, eductors, etc. - all dead or on life support.

Very true. I still run halides on all my tanks. but have gotten rid of closed loops besides one tank that’s got 2 OM 4 ways on it. You will never see a vortech at my house. my water movers these days are made by tunze streams or minn kota

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure? I think the original was called a “Sea Sweep” and the newer version is the “Sea Swirl?” It could be a patent issue? Those usually last for 10 years, but I’m pretty sure these have been around for longer than that. Maybe it’s just a thing where there‘a not a big market for them so no one has seen any money in them to justify the large investment to market a new version?
They’ve been called Sea Swirls for at least 20 years, I had them in 2004!

FinalPhaze987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've used a wavysea in the early 2000s with a reeflow dart pump as a return. Worked great then...I wouldn't go back to it now as there are tons of pumps that can suit different needs

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I emailed another company out of Germany called Ocean motion to see if they shipped to the U.S., but no answer yet. They are cheaper than the Sea Sweep
As of now, they won't ship to the US. If you want to get a group buy together, ship to one US address and one of us ship to the other buyers, count me in for 2.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Or most hobbyist are too caught up in marketing and social media to know any better? Tool, job. Use the right one.

50,000 feet. Set up a dedicated anemone display. Do you want a power head, gyre, and their respective covers for protection or do you want a Sea Swirl return or closed loop? Simple example granted but it still paints the picture. They serve a purpose.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or most hobbyist are too caught up in marketing and social media to know any better?
Or or, for most tanks, Vortech/gyre/etc. actually are better .....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back