Why is there no mounting arms for braced tanks?

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like a braced tank but I’m finding it difficult to find a mounting option for the lights I would like to use. My tank is 48x36 and has a top brace around the perimeter, aluminum framed stand with an open back. I don’t want to hang anything from the ceiling or drill into any walls, or use a cross tank bar. I am undecided on either Kessil a360x/a500x or Red Sea 160s for lights. I love the Red Sea mounting arm with the lift away option and also the Kessil rigid mounting arm with the directional mount. But neither of these options seem to work on a braced tank. Or am I wrong?

kenbennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about using t-slot framing (like 8020) to attach a bracket to the back side of your stand. There have been a few examples here on r2r.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil arm mount comes with small block spacers. Have you tried those?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil gooseneck can rotate to mount to eurobraces. The mounting arm also has a kit that let's you screw into the stand.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same thing with my Euro Braced tank, I was thinking about contacting the company who make mine, and have a piece of glass cut so it attaches to the back of the tank, thereby having a place to attach the mounts.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the best option is the kessil solid arm with the stand attachment. But, if you really want it attached to the tank... still go with the kessil solid arm, and although it doesnt fit as installing as shown, you just have to reverse the bottom portion of the arm/bracket and slide the spacer block in on the inside up under the brace and then put the screws in.
It's structurally the same, and I've had mine like this for years and bump them All the time. Yes, they will be on the inside, and get wet depending on your water level, but they are both vinyl, so no worries beyond being able to see them.
My rim is eye level so you can't see them, plus I have a pvc trim kit I made that can lift or slide off, which helps hide it, the euro-braced in general, & everything else as well. (Ie: creates a hidden ledge for wires, net tops, reef brite strips, tube holders for WC, etc.. and can be drilled into for fan mounts)

I am actually changing mine to stand or wall mount though, just because I have nightmares about the anything clamped to glass with 12+ inches of leverage, that gets bumped. Especially the glass that holds in 100 gal of water, all my $investments & time inside... in my living room.
I just think about my tire lug nuts not budging with a standard ratchet... but once I slide a pipe over giving 10 more inches of leverage.. It turns with Two fingers. So, no issues in 3 years , but I'm mounting one moveable swing/boom arm that comes out from the wall and T's out to hold each pendant.

Attachments

• 20200105_154308.jpg
    20200105_154308.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 20210706_125336.jpg
    20210706_125336.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 174

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back