-d
taylor lautner twilight GIF

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why go by tunnel, so much to see! I have driven across the county several times and always some new to see and the excitement of crossing the Great Divided, the Rockies, the Mississippi River, the Golden Gate Bridge, or seeing for miles on the Great Plains. In June I am fly to Ct and driving through my last few states to see all 50 (Conn, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Mass, and Rhode Island)

Last edited:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tunnel from coast to coast could force airlines to drop their ridiculous prices.
Margins are so thin on airlines already. As we saw in the beginning of corona even flights were open but empty When people dont fly, neither do planes. The price doesnt drop, they stop offering the service. It's that simple.

Who should also pay for this tunnel? Who maintains it? Does the fed get jurisdiction? State? City?....

And we still haven't got to the issue of, There are already multiple ways to drive coast to coast and nobody does it. Fewer every year.

Building a tunnel now is like restringing the whole country with telephone lines. Technology has bypassed that usefulness and cost

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sci-Fi writer Larry Liven covered the issues of sealed transit pan continental transports 50 years ago in "World out of Time". If Elon Musk was as smart as he thinks he is he would be trying to solve mass transit issues in cities (and hire Niven as a consultant). Just another rich dude trying to find solutions in search of a problem. Lots of apartment buildings being built near me and not a single one with an EV charging station for cars either.

The Japanese and Europeans are decades ahead of the US in terns of high tech mass transportation. If they aren't building sealed tunnel transit systems there must be a reason.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sci-Fi writer Larry Liven covered the issues of sealed transit pan continental transports 50 years ago in "World out of Time". If Elon Musk was as smart as he thinks he is he would be trying to solve mass transit issues in cities (and hire Niven as a consultant). Just another rich dude trying to find solutions in search of a problem. Lots of apartment buildings being built near me and not a single one with an EV charging station for cars either.

The Japanese and Europeans are decades ahead of the US in terns of high tech mass transportation. If they aren't building sealed tunnel transit systems there must be a reason.
IMO Americans still love their automobile. Even my parents both have cars living 26 miles from Boston, they would still commute via mass transit to work in the city first by driving to the commuter rail.

I remember back in the 70's my grandad would point down at the Mass Pike in Newton (8 miles from Boston) and say "look at that rat race" as the cars poured into the city every morning. There were plenty of options to use mass transit at the time and it hasn't really changed.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.2%
Back