• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Why So Little Interest in Whole System for Sale?

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Legitimate question here. I'm trying to sell my whole system, but there has been minimal interest. See listing. I've tried to set prices reasonably. Do people think the prices are too high? Tank alone was 6K, stand was 3K. Lights were 1700 each. Clariseas were 400 each. With pumps, heaters, sumps, plumbing, there's a lot invested.

Or is it just a really bad time to be selling/buying, given covid and associated economic woes?

Thanks for serious, legitimate input.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say very bad timing for asking for that amount. Price seems very fair but timing isn’t helping anything.

Also, that’s a pretty big tank too, so you’re only going to get a selected amount of buyers. Plus she’s heavy, so people might feel they can’t find people to bring right now with what’s going on.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to guess that the size of the tank limits who has a place to put it.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree on the size limitation also do you think there are people in your area that would be interested - maybe work with you LFS to see if they can help sell it or maybe a local reef club?

OP
OP
Kengar

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're in DC metro area, so there are a lot of reefers in the area. Posted via WAMAS, local reefers FB community, craigslist, RC, etc.

Perhaps when Covid is over, this will be a nice self-treat for someone!

OP
OP
Kengar

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so long as the rock/coral/substrate is unsold, need to keep things together. if that sold separately -- and I've tried for ridiculously low $$ compared to what I spent -- I'd shut down, clean up, and part out. Till then, can't

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price is right for the complete set-up (actually a good deal)

BUT issues I see:

A) Size - not everyone wants or can afford the $$$ or space for 6ft+ tank
B) Cost - Holidays coming, Covid related income reduction
C) Moving it - Again covid related gathering etc...

I'm sure it's been mentioned but parting parts out will generate more interest & attention

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, selling a big tank depend with the market. Not lots not ppl will want tank that big.
Then moving it, with that kind of price, I think ppl would rather buy directly from a store/online, cause at least they will guarantee shipping. (Hopefully). And there is a somewhat warranty on a new tank

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that unfortunately you have a lot of factors working against you. A large tank like that is most likely going to interest only the more serious hobbyists, but the more serious hobbyists probably aren’t really interested in getting a whole system. They already have their favorite equipment and livestock lists and that likely doesn’t match what you have.

I think beginners are more likely to want to purchase a working system, but the problem there is that there are very few beginners who want to spend several thousand dollars on a 250G tank.

Additionally, with a tank that size you’re pretty much limited to people in your local area. There’s no way that you can ship something like that, so that reduces the number of people you could sell to considerably.

I know you don’t want to part it out, but if you really want to get things sold quickly and for a good price I think that’s probably your best option.

OP
OP
Kengar

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All factors I see, too. My biggest concern was price, which is something I could change if necessary.

As noted above, until rock and substrate are gone, need to keep things running and that prevents parting out. Covid may be affecting sale even of "just" that, and I certainly understand (and would avoid buying from a stranger myself in these times). So looks like I'm just going to have to ride things out for awhile.

Thanks for replies. I think we can shut this thread down.

Pete Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like a nice system, but I think you’re high. I look at it and instantly compare it to a Redsea 750 or Large Watebox those systems without lights are about same price, plus they are plumbed nicely. Don’t take this wrong, Just my thoughts.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size does play in the role of resell value. Too big equal lesser value. Plus your tank seems to be a custom made tank that costs close to $10k alone. I guess a cookie cutter tank with stand in that size would costs around 2-3k? Then a used one would be around $1k. Therefore, any reefers that wants an upgrade to a bigger tank, they want a super deal in order for them to take down their current tank or at least tell their wives is a super deal!

and for the second kind of buyers are the people who wants to start the hobby. Honestly, who wants to spend $5k as a beginner? Not many people.

I am in Maryland and seen your post. I am the first kind of buyer. if I see a super deal than I will take down my tank and convince my wife that is a once in a life time deal that could save a lot of money. (Honestly, I will buy it if it’s $1k for just the tank, stand and sump, no offense)

lastly, here a brand new pro star 220g for less than $3k if you catch them on sale. (I know your tank is higher quality, but not everyone can afford it)

not to mention is comes with warranty and free shipping to your door.

To buy a used set up, you would need to spend at least a $100 to rent a car, Spend a few hundred dollar to hire a few people to get a big used tank home. Those are the things that reefers are considering.

hope this make sense or doesn’t, I am cold here fishing outdoor and no bites.

either way, good luck!

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a lot of factors working against you.
The number one factor is the pickup issue. That limits who you can sell it to. So 90% of the people are not going to be able to buy it. The second issue is that the Tank system consists of equipment you like or wanted. Someone may like the Tank but does not like the stand or does not want that brand of lights, pump, controller etc. Lastly the size of the Tank further reduces your chances of finding the right person.

In a case like yours you really only have two options. You either part it out or you liquidate it at a low price. A price low enough that it's worth someones time to come there with 2-3 people to help do all the work and then be able to resell the individual parts for a profit.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All factors I see, too. My biggest concern was price, which is something I could change if necessary.

As noted above, until rock and substrate are gone, need to keep things running and that prevents parting out. Covid may be affecting sale even of "just" that, and I certainly understand (and would avoid buying from a stranger myself in these times). So looks like I'm just going to have to ride things out for awhile.

Thanks for replies. I think we can shut this thread down.
Personally, I don’t think Covid play a big role in this no offense.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• F3C5DEB6-1AFE-4C26-8531-5C2E56A7B5B1.jpeg
    F3C5DEB6-1AFE-4C26-8531-5C2E56A7B5B1.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 19

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really need it to sell, you need to expect only 25 to 33 cents on the retail dollar for the tank, stand, and wet equipment. When I sold my previous set up, I posted all the retail prices (with links) and what my price was.

Lights hold better value; > 50%
APEX even better. If you expect to come back into the hobby, I would just hold on to that.

Hope that helps. GLWS

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought whole set ups before and used them and actually made more parting them out a few years later after I changed tanks again. I don’t mind buying a set up as long as the price is lower to reflect that they don’t have to find multiple people.

Honesty the major turn off of your tank is that it is in a basement and has to go upstairs. Getting it down probably wasn’t fun so going up will be a nightmare and movers are expensive!!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back