Why the Desire for Difficult Livestock?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it that so many of us want some of the most difficult fish and inverts in the hobby when there are countless other options just as beautiful and interesting? I'm talking about inverts like Linckias, some sponges, certain fish with very specialized diets. I don't know about others but for me, part of it's the enjoyment of the challenge of caring for them. Personally I seek out all the research I can find and combine it with novel ideas I develop on my own. I would absolutely love to discover a way to keep some of these creatures not just to say I have one when nobody else does, but because of the personal satisfaction of being able to enjoy it as a part of my mini ecosystem I work so hard to maintain. I've also been captivated by not only traditional marine biology but other more specific marine study disciplines as long as I can remember. Right now I'm considering an electric orange Linckia...can post pics if you want...
Would love to talk more about this with some of you guys who have felt the same thing.

Btw, regarding my Fromia indica, I'm experimenting with feeding him encrusting sponges adhered to rocks native to where he's naturally found and very closely observing how he interacts with not only it but the rock itself...for those of you who were interested in my previous thread I haven't forgotten about you but it's a very complex organism we're dealing with here and I'm trying to put together a write up about it so please be patient.

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re pretty much on track the the desire for the challenge. While there are some that will oppose it, in my mind it wasn’t all that long ago (ok it’s been a while but I’m middle age so doesn’t seem that long lol) keeping stony coral, particularly acropora, was considered impossible by many. The desire to push the limit has resulted in many coral and fish species being kept that in the 80s were unheard of.

I personally fall in the middle ground. Things like basket stars and blueberry gorgs I don’t feel should be attempted except by the most dedicated and knowledgeable.

But even more disheartening to me is a trip to the lfs freshwater area and seeing all the red tail catfish and other monsters that are doomed to a miserable existence when just a simple search shows most can’t accommodate them but people don’t look or don’t care.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_2022-06-15-10-33-20-622_com.facebook.katana.jpg

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re pretty much on track the the desire for the challenge. While there are some that will oppose it, in my mind it wasn’t all that long ago (ok it’s been a while but I’m middle age so doesn’t seem that long lol) keeping stony coral, particularly acropora, was considered impossible by many. The desire to push the limit has resulted in many coral and fish species being kept that in the 80s were unheard of.

I personally fall in the middle ground. Things like basket stars and blueberry gorgs I don’t feel should be attempted except by the most dedicated and knowledgeable.

But even more disheartening to me is a trip to the lfs freshwater area and seeing all the red tail catfish and other monsters that are doomed to a miserable existence when just a simple search shows most can’t accommodate them but people don’t look or don’t care.
I know how you feel. What I'm trying to do is expand our horizons and make meaningful discoveries...it has nothing to do with the aesthetics of the animal perse...I agree with you about blueberry gorgs! The reason I wouldn't experiment with them is because you would be essentially skipping too many knowledge gaps that need to be solved for first...
I'm not throwing in a fragile organism and just hoping for the best, I'm determining what the challenges are going to be and forming a plan that I think might solve for that challenge.

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it that so many of us want some of the most difficult fish and inverts in the hobby when there are countless other options just as beautiful and interesting? I'm talking about inverts like Linckias, some sponges, certain fish with very specialized diets. I don't know about others but for me, part of it's the enjoyment of the challenge of caring for them. Personally I seek out all the research I can find and combine it with novel ideas I develop on my own. I would absolutely love to discover a way to keep some of these creatures not just to say I have one when nobody else does, but because of the personal satisfaction of being able to enjoy it as a part of my mini ecosystem I work so hard to maintain. I've also been captivated by not only traditional marine biology but other more specific marine study disciplines as long as I can remember. Right now I'm considering an electric orange Linckia...can post pics if you want...
Would love to talk more about this with some of you guys who have felt the same thing.

Btw, regarding my Fromia indica, I'm experimenting with feeding him encrusting sponges adhered to rocks native to where he's naturally found and very closely observing how he interacts with not only it but the rock itself...for those of you who were interested in my previous thread I haven't forgotten about you but it's a very complex organism we're dealing with here and I'm trying to put together a write up about it so please be patient.
I'd say it's to chase the challenge and ultimately that benefits those that come behind those people that find success. Wouldnt' it be cool that one day these challenging corals were as easy to care for as a xenia is today?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I'm reluctant to share some of my ideas on a public forum isn't to hide it from my fellow reefers, it's because I don't want people to think I've found a fool proof way to keep these animals that would justify them going out and getting one without diligent research, a plan, willingness to prioritize that animal, and, very importantly, making careful and detailed observations of it a priority.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, if there's anyone here with the same motivations as me feel free to shoot me a message! I'd love to have someone to converse with on ideas!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And another thing about my starfish research in regard to their very slow metabolism: It seems to be accepted almost without exception that you've not had success unless you've had it for many months and even then you'll get people saying that means nothing. This has been regurgitated so many times on here it's insane. Yes, it is very possible and depending upon many factors it may even be likely it starved if it only made it a few to several months. It is equally possible however, that it succumbed to disease, something related to parameters, lack of the microbiome needed, etc.

I know that I'll constantly be reminded of how long I've had it and told time and time again that it's starving. This is why I'm going to utilize the microbiology lab I have access to in order to analyze bacterial populations and observe any changes in biofilm before and after I observe feeding behavior.

Back