Why Versa over DOS?

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering replacing my two DOS units with Versas. However, I'm fine with the noise of the DOS units as they are in a conditioned garage, and the DOS integrates well with the Trident and automatically adjusts alk/cal dosing. Also, the AWC has been flawless. Is there any benefit to swapping to Versas?

It appears the Versas are in high demand as they are always out of stock, but why?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use DOS’s on my tank and have a quad versa, I think the Versa are overrated and can’t handle a 30 gallon water change in a day like my DOS could without it whining or having an issue when really pushed. If you have an Apex I personally see no reason to buy a versa unless you need continuous duty, I use only two heads of the Versa’s now for my frag tank and the other two collect dust and never have been used.

I ended up going back to a DOS for AWC as I like to do a 10% in one day on my 300 on occasion, the versa just can’t cut it for that kind of use.

OP
OP
M

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use DOS’s on my tank and have a quad versa, I think the Versa are overrated and can’t handle a 30 gallon water change in a day like my DOS could without it whining or having an issue when really pushed. If you have an Apex I personally see no reason to buy a versa unless you need continuous duty, I use only two heads of the Versa’s now for my frag tank and the other two collect dust and never have been used.

I ended up going back to a DOS for AWC as I like to do a 10% in one day on my 300 on occasion, the versa just can’t cut it for that kind of use.

I thought the Versa could pump much more than a DOS.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering replacing my two DOS units with Versas. However, I'm fine with the noise of the DOS units as they are in a conditioned garage, and the DOS integrates well with the Trident and automatically adjusts alk/cal dosing. Also, the AWC has been flawless. Is there any benefit to swapping to Versas?

It appears the Versas are in high demand as they are always out of stock, but why?

if it’s not broken

No reason imo. I have both. I wanted to feed my ca reactor at two different speeds throughout the day for different alk demand. Eco tech didn’t make it easy to do that. Plus the tubing lasted 3-4 months and was completely flattened. I went back to the kamoer as the tubing lasts longer.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good question. For me, the main draw is how the Versa's fit into a reef that does not use a central controller or single point of failure. It seems most hardware manufacturers are offering remote functionality of some sort, with an app. We can basically now build a system that is fully controllable, without an additional central controller, unless you count your smart phone. The versas have proven to be good at a lot of things and are purpose designed and built, from the ground up, for the aquarium industry. People seem to love the DOS too, especially for AWC. It's a shame they aren't offered as stand alone units. I might have gone that route, with Versas being nearly completely unavailable for several years now.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back