why wont my cyphastrea open up?

baslewprime

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
233
Reaction score
85
Location
Miami, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this bizarre cyphastrea wont open is this normal?

maybe too much lights?

all my others coral doing great.

alk 8.8
cal 450
mag 1450
no3 10
po4 0.030

20191215_193759.jpg
 
I guess too much light. It’s been dubbed the prince of darkness for a reason. I have mine at the bottom back under and way under lit and it’s thriving and spreading into the glass. Had a .25 chunk delivered in the spring and look at it now. You can hurt it by giving it barley light. Amazing coral BTW one of my favorites. How could you not love it it’s like little sun flowers on a purple rock

F669A654-C4E0-4CEC-B0F9-C67772F1205E.jpeg
 
this bizarre cyphastrea wont open is this normal?

maybe too much lights?

all my others coral doing great.

alk 8.8
cal 450
mag 1450
no3 10
po4 0.030

20191215_193759.jpg
Did you get this figured out? How long have you had it? My parameters are different as they are skewed toward growth rather than comor but quite stable. I've had mine about 15 days and it just opened (will take pics tomorrow). Low light. Low flow. SG 1.0255, PO4 0 (bad, monti starving), calcium 470, alk 10.7, n04 5.0, nitrite 0n ammonia 0, iodine 0.6, mg 1310n T: 26C.

Anyway one of my favorites and I'm obsessed so let me see yours if you've had growth since December as I'd love to imagine mine 3-4 mos out.
 
Did you get this figured out? How long have you had it? My parameters are different as they are skewed toward growth rather than comor but quite stable. I've had mine about 15 days and it just opened (will take pics tomorrow). Low light. Low flow. SG 1.0255, PO4 0 (bad, monti starving), calcium 470, alk 10.7, n04 5.0, nitrite 0n ammonia 0, iodine 0.6, mg 1310n T: 26C.

Anyway one of my favorites and I'm obsessed so let me see yours if you've had growth since December as I'd love to imagine mine 3-4 mos out.

Mine loves low light and low flow and I have it for around 3 months and it looks like this now.

20200328_160902.jpg
 
Bumping this, I have a blowpop cyphastrea and it isn’t opening. It’s been 3 days since getting it shipped from worldwide corals. Pretty normal?

The zoanthid I ordered is open, but this one refused lol.
2E0D64BC-C37C-489A-B22E-DBD2E1FAC9CC.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new